Muscovy duckling broken neck?

If the drakes are old enough they can be separated from mama and the young females.
How old do they need to be? They were hatched around oct 13, give or take a day or 2. Their feathers are just starting to come in good. They have been in our bathtub, and I'm wondering if they just need more room. It's been cold outside and I know they need to be acclimated to the outdoor temps, but the momma Muscovy is crazy and she freaks out so bad when we try to touch her. I don't wanna keep stressing her out by taking her out, and in, and out, and in. We have had a few high 20 degree nights and then high 60 degree days. And if they have more room, do I need to worry about the girl getting trampled? We have a run we've been working on, to predator proof for them, and we finally have it almost done. We have every predator there is around here, minks being the most worrisome because of the small spaces they can fit in. But we think we have it almost ready. We do have a heat lamp we can put out there for them, even though they suck, we don't have another choice. Please somebody tell me what's best. I have a very sensitive heart and soul, and I don't just want them to be happy, my fiance tells me to not worry so much, but I can't help it. The last time I didn't worry so much, 2 ducks vanished and all we found was feathers and a wing bone. 😭. I don't wanna lose anymore of my feathery family. Please help me, my judgement gets a little clouded because of my strong feelings sometimes. I'd love to keep the little female in the house with me all the time, along with all the rest of the flock, but for some reason, my old man said no, nope, and no way. 🤷🏻‍♀️. They poop too much and make a mess. Which I do understand. I clean em everyday, but I still feel like I'm up to my elbows in poop. 🦆🦆🦆💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

If your having temps in the 60's during the day and they are almost 2 months old I'd say start acclimating them to outdoors during the day. Put them where they won't have strong winds blowing over them and do this for 3-4 days but if you can secure a lamp out in your coop [very important] You can put them out overnight. Having more room will def help with pecking at each other. Mom will still be with them?

They should be fully feathered by now?

Yes mom will be with them. They have a heat lamp, and no wind should get to them. I'm so worried about them, I might stay in there with them 😆 it's only getting down to 44 tonight, so I figure it's the perfect time.

And they are not fully feathered yet. The feathers are coming in on their tails and around the wings, but their necks and heads and middle backs are still just soft little fluff. And the little girl I had separated, I'm a little nervous about putting her out there just yet. She has less feathers than the others. And she seems so tiny. The little girl is in the bottom left corner.

Attachments

• 16703043855078176078965487233149.jpg
    16703043855078176078965487233149.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 3
They are so precious ❤️

Well, how did they do?
and being out where it's cooler than inside will help them get feathered up quicker.
I didn't know that. They r going outside today. It was rainy and chilly last night, so they r gonna move today. I love em all, I don't want them to be cold or miserable...

As long as they are out of severe weather and have deep bedding they should be fine. i bet they will love being outside. And mama will be with them.

As long as they are out of severe weather and have deep bedding they should be fine. i bet they will love being outside. And mama will be with them.
Wish me luck. I'm about to take em outside now. 🤞 The mom almost blacked my eye the last time I carried her inside. Lol she's a feisty Muscovy. They r very strong and ornery. I hope to not get injured this time. 😳😬🦆 Thank you for all the advice miss Lydia. I appreciate you very much.

Back
Top Bottom