Muscovy eggs

Muscovygirl426

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
I am wanting to know if somebody can tell me at what point should you be able to tell if the egg is fertile? I don't want to take the eggs away if they would become fertile.

Also does the momma duck stay laying o the eggs while they hatch or does she know it's time to stop laying on them?

I am wanting to know if somebody can tell me at what point should you be able to tell if the egg is fertile? I don't want to take the eggs away if they would become fertile.

Assuming that you have at least one drake, it's likely that at least some of the eggs will be fertile. The only way to know for sure is to candle them to check progress, which could be disruptive to the broody.

Also does the momma duck stay laying o the eggs while they hatch or does she know it's time to stop laying on them?

She will know what to do when they begin hatching. You'll want to ensure that she's in a safe place and will be undisturbed when they hatch (and that the ducklings will be safe after hatching). I had two ducks hatch clutches last year, and they're amazing mothers.

We do have 1 drake however I don't believe he had mated with her yet to make the eggs fertile. And both females when they lay their eggs are under our gazebo in a nice safe spot. Took up days to find our one missing female because this is all new to us so we had no idea where she would have gone. I was wanting to place a camera under there to watch them hatch jus wasn't sure if she would be hiding it or not. Thanks for the help

We do have 1 drake however I don't believe he had mated with her yet to make the eggs fertile. And both females when they lay their eggs are under our gazebo in a nice safe spot. Took up days to find our one missing female because this is all new to us so we had no idea where she would have gone. I was wanting to place a camera under there to watch them hatch jus wasn't sure if she would be hiding it or not. Thanks for the help

YVW...it's a blast to watch the broodies hatch a clutch and raise their ducklings. You might be surprised - drakes can really get around, and since you just have the 2 ducks, he could very well be breeding both when you're not looking.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom