Muscovy identity?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Carolinexlt, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:31 PM.

1. Carolinexlt

Carolinexlt In the Brooder

Oct 6, 2018
    Wondering what you think about this duck. I just bought a drake and I am just confused about his looks. He has absolutely no mask at all! Every other Muscovy drake I've seen has a prominent fleshy mask but not this guy. Could he be a hybrid? Or are there Muscovies who just don't have the mask?

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He looks like a goose.:) He must be young?

Raenh likes this.
  3. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Australia
    My Coop
    I want to say he’s young for now

Raenh likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Muscovy drakes generally develop caruncling as they mature. He appears to be young, and I am not certain that he is pure Muscovy. Is there a possibility that he might be a mule? Did the previous owner have mallard derived birds as well as muscovies ?

5. Raenh

Raenh Crowing

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    Looking at just his face, he looks like a she - then looking at his body - he looks like a goose!

But I know nothing for certain on that... other then which ever it is, they're still young and will grow into the carbuncle. Speedy only just started getting part of her mask recently and shes a year old. Fancy had his start when he hit hormonal and wanted to jump ever female in the area.

6. Carolinexlt

Carolinexlt In the Brooder

Oct 6, 2018
    Thanks for your input. He is young, I'm told he's about three months old. I have asked the breeder if there is a possibility he could be a hybrid, waiting for a reply. He is really big! My girls are young too, and a lot smaller but they have more carbuncle than he does. Guess time will tell. If I understand correctly, he will not produce viable offspring if he is a hybrid, but the hens will still lay eggs. Is this correct?

casportpony and Raenh like this.
  7. MotherOfPeepPeeps

MotherOfPeepPeeps Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Missouri
    Are you positive that is even a duck? It looks like a goose to me too.

Raenh likes this.
  8. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    Is a Muscovy goose hybrid possible?

MotherOfPeepPeeps and Raenh like this.
  9. Raenh

Raenh Crowing

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    Hens will lay eggs even without a male. But yes, if a mule mates the eggs would be duds. Muscovys are their own branch of the duck tree and can only beget their own - pekin/muscovy gets 1st generation mules that are infertile - just like a horse and donkey begets infertile mules.

Female muscovys are a lot smaller then the males by half most times.

10. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Songster

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    What an interesting looking bird! Do you have more pictures of him? Is his neck normally that long or was he really stretching? He has a very sweet face :)

Raenh likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: