Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I am hoping a color expert can help me figure out what to call my 5 month old pair of scovies:

Also, my youngest pair of scovies are supposed to be solid white and both parents are solid. But they are both getting dark grey markings on their head (like a magpie duck). Anyone know why this may be happening?

Those are blues, a colour very prominent in my flock lol

I'll show you some from of my March hatch..

As for the white, it could be black capping... here i have two like that here... mind you the cap comes and goes in noticeably based on molt lol

OLD pic but gives you the idea.. birds were under 1yo

Those are not true blues. True blues have only white on there wings. Those are blue pieds or another mixed color here is a photo of my Blue Muscovy Drake he only has white on his wings.

I am hoping a color expert can help me figure out what to call my 5 month old pair of scovies:

Also, my youngest pair of scovies are supposed to be solid white and both parents are solid. But they are both getting dark grey markings on their head (like a magpie duck). Anyone know why this may be happening?

Those are not true blues. True blues have only white on there wings. Those are blue pieds or another mixed color here is a photo of my Blue Muscovy Drake he only has white on his wings.

Well likely but we weren't really discussing specific breakdowns of colours or SOP, that gets quite complicated and young birds for sure change.

Last edited:
Beautiful blues! I thought my scovies may be blue, but one has a lot of tan mixed in so thought perhaps lavender, and the other has a lot of black markings and an almost solid black head, and I had no idea what to call that.

Thanks for the info on the head capping. That is exactly how my youngest pair are looking. The owner of the breeding pair has also been quite confused that the offspring are getting those markings. Is there a difference between a white scovy and a French white scovy?

By the way, your birds are under 1yo with that much caruncles? Wow!

Thank you.

yes, those birds were under 1yo then. This is a more recent pic of the same drake. Big white guy in the back lol his name is Spot lol

So.... the lighter colored grey with tan would be a lavender pied and the darker one a blue pied. I've never seen a blue with a lot of black coloring before, so wasn't sure if there was another name.

Here is a close up of my oldest girls (1.5 years). As you can see, they have very little caruncles.

Ok, here are some baby pictures! :D

Cute babies! I bet they will be so much fun to watch change colors as they grow up.

It was a cloudy day here today and I got a new pic of my juvenile blue/lavender duo. My friend (and vet) visited today and said he thought the lavender is a drake, because of the way its crest stood up, but he/she is identical sized to its hatchmate, as well as my adult girls. Shouldn't I see a major size difference (and more caruncle development) if it is a boy? FYI, they are 5 months old.

Cute babies! I bet they will be so much fun to watch change colors as they grow up. It was a cloudy day here today and I got a new pic of my juvenile blue/lavender duo. My friend (and vet) visited today and said he thought the lavender is a drake, because of the way its crest stood up, but he/she is identical sized to its hatchmate, as well as my adult girls. Shouldn't I see a major size difference (and more caruncle development) if it is a boy? FYI, they are 5 months old.
From what I've seen of my hen and drake, the size of the crest doesn't count towards anything. My drake is very noticeably bigger than my hen but there isn't really a different in their crest. I've only aeen them raise their crests once though - they were getting cranky at the dogs when they were barking lol.

Back
Top Bottom