Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well likely but we weren't really discussing specific breakdowns of colours or SOP, that gets quite complicated and young birds for sure change.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you.

yes, those birds were under 1yo then. This is a more recent pic of the same drake. Big white guy in the back lol his name is Spot lol

[​IMG]

4. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    So.... the lighter colored grey with tan would be a lavender pied and the darker one a blue pied. I've never seen a blue with a lot of black coloring before, so wasn't sure if there was another name.

Here is a close up of my oldest girls (1.5 years). As you can see, they have very little caruncles.
    [​IMG]

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Ok, here are some baby pictures! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Well it's about time.. [​IMG] They are so cute and so big. Looks like they are doing really good too. How's mama holding up, you and Scovy mama?

7. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Cute babies! I bet they will be so much fun to watch change colors as they grow up.

It was a cloudy day here today and I got a new pic of my juvenile blue/lavender duo. My friend (and vet) visited today and said he thought the lavender is a drake, because of the way its crest stood up, but he/she is identical sized to its hatchmate, as well as my adult girls. Shouldn't I see a major size difference (and more caruncle development) if it is a boy? FYI, they are 5 months old.

[​IMG]

8. emilyrose

emilyrose Out Of The Brooder

From what I've seen of my hen and drake, the size of the crest doesn't count towards anything. My drake is very noticeably bigger than my hen but there isn't really a different in their crest. I've only aeen them raise their crests once though - they were getting cranky at the dogs when they were barking lol.

9. cheecka

cheecka Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Blair, NE
    [​IMG]

10. kountryboy4life

kountryboy4life Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    Tomahawk, Wisconsin
    I would say females. at that age, the drakes should be noticeably bigger, with thick legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by