Pics
on deck.JPG

I have wondered if it is possible to get a dog that is good with birds and would protect them from predators, including my escapees. I wonder which is the best breed of dog for that?

Wow!! Interesting you mention a Collie. I have heard they are great for protecting animals. So I thought maybe that would be a good breed to get for my ducks.
Our rescue pit bull girl gets along great with the ducks. In fact, the ducks love her too. They insist on being with her or she slowly follows them around the yard. Her facial expression isn't the best, I kept trying to keep her in the dog house so I could take a photo
Merci and her buddies summer 2021.jpg

I feel it's not always the breed of dog but how well you have trained it to be with the ducks. Mine are a Chihuahua and a Daushund/Boston terrier mix. They both had to be taught to not attack the ducks. They also were taught not to attack my pet rabbits that I had for years before I got the ducks. If not trained they would have torn up my ducks and rabbits both as they love to chase and play rough. They bark if anything comes near the ducks and are great with them and also were with my rabbits that roamed in our fenced in yard. Not initially though, they had to be trained. Good luck with whatever type of dog you decide to get.

Back
Top Bottom