FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
I purchased some Muscovy Ducks about two or three weeks ago and I have some questions about them. Ive read that they like to perch and have things to roost on so I found some scrap wood and made a place for them to perch. (They have wooden fence beam 4in x 4in x 8ft to perch on outside and a 2x8 in the coop.) Ive never seen them roost or even try. They have zero interest in roosting. Is this normal? I also heard that they are a very broody duck but my two females won't sit on their eggs at all. Is there anything I can do to encourage broodiness and roosting? Any help is appreciated!

Have they finished laying? Mine dont start going broody until they are close to being done laying and then they go crazy first and act like they're going to kill anything near them - then sit and won't move unless I move them. And roosting is a preference, like do you wanna sit on the floor today or on the chair. And the 2x8 is that 2inx8ft? That might be to small for them to roost on, and should be at least 2x4x8 cause they're flat footed even though they can curl their feet a little...

Hello FathertoFeathers!
I have been raising Muscovy ducks for over a year now and have more than doubled my flock with one broody mum. They do in fact love to perch. Just because you haven't noticed yet, it usually happens with mine at night, or in the early morning. Mainly the hens who aren't laying, but the younger ones. They tend to mellow out after a year and perch to preen, and to look down on those who can't get up! In regards to Raenh^, they do need a secure post that will support their big paws, but my hens will even perch on my phone lines outside.
With broodiness, I would say it depends on the hen. Some of my hens will get broody after 2 eggs, but typically its after they lay 5 or more. Once they have a clutch of 5 they will get real broody. I use golf balls to promote the laying and broodiness and if you are able to get ahold of dried catnip, stinging nettle, and mint with some chamomile, just spread them in the nests and you may notice a little difference. "Nesting herbs" do work.
Good luck!!

Hello FathertoFeathers!
I have been raising Muscovy ducks for over a year now and have more than doubled my flock with one broody mum. They do in fact love to perch. Just because you haven't noticed yet, it usually happens with mine at night, or in the early morning. Mainly the hens who aren't laying, but the younger ones. They tend to mellow out after a year and perch to preen, and to look down on those who can't get up! In regards to Raenh^, they do need a secure post that will support their big paws, but my hens will even perch on my phone lines outside.
With broodiness, I would say it depends on the hen. Some of my hens will get broody after 2 eggs, but typically its after they lay 5 or more. Once they have a clutch of 5 they will get real broody. I use golf balls to promote the laying and broodiness and if you are able to get ahold of dried catnip, stinging nettle, and mint with some chamomile, just spread them in the nests and you may notice a little difference. "Nesting herbs" do work.
Good luck!!
Thank You!

Have they finished laying? Mine dont start going broody until they are close to being done laying and then they go crazy first and act like they're going to kill anything near them - then sit and won't move unless I move them. And roosting is a preference, like do you wanna sit on the floor today or on the chair. And the 2x8 is that 2inx8ft? That might be to small for them to roost on, and should be at least 2x4x8 cause they're flat footed even though they can curl their feet a little...
They are still laying about every other day to every two days but right now they've built a nest that has 12 eggs in it. The 2x8 is 2in by 8in. I am using a old chicken coop that we have with a run attached. The long pole looks like its rounded completely but its flattened on the top.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4838.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4838.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_IMG_4837.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4837.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_4836.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4836.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_IMG_4835.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4835.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 10
My muscovys have never roosted. The closest they get is perching on top of fence for a minute to plan an arieal atrack on an unsuspecting bug. They are very happy on the ground. Clutch size varies per duck, like stated above. My first muscovy hen wouldn't sit on a clutch less then 30 (which she obviously couldn't cover properly) but the current ones like 12-20

Back
Top Bottom