Mutant large Plymouth Rocks

Chicklet8

Hatching
5 Years
May 26, 2014
Hello all. I had a questions concerning some of my cousins Plymouth Rocks...I have one of my own (a 12 week old chook) and was concerned......

5 months ago, my cousin (who has been keeping Rhode Island Red hens for the past 2 yrs), purchased some straight-run Plymouth Rocks from her local Tractor Supply. One turned out to be a roo, one a hen. They are 5 months old now and both are MUTANTLY HUGE!!!!...Particularly the hen. They tower over the Rhode Island Reds....fully double their height....My husband kidded with me that they looked like Velociraptors , the way they bounded across the outdoor "free -range" pen in like three strides...:p.

I noticed that they had a little varation on the Barred Rock markings. The hen was lighter than most . The roo's neck was barred in a pale cream/yellow and some of his tail and saddle feathers were a deep teal in color.

Is it possible that what she got was some kind of mix with a giant breed?

The other problem she is having is that the hen and roo just this past two weeks or so are tearing apart her other hens. It looks like the roo is trying to mate with the others, then the hen will jump on them and attack them, then the roo gives up on copulating and attacks them as well......

....any ideas about what is going on here?

Sounds like they are not heritage Plymouth barred rocks with the coloring you described. Probably a mix in there. Barred Rocks are heavier than RIR but a tad shorter/squattier. Sorry for the made up word.

A young inexperienced cockerel will do exactly as you just described. Give him some time and make sure he has at least 10 hens with him so he won't over mate them.

Wish ya the best.

Wonder if they are Dixie Rainbows / Pioneers. They come in a variety of colors and some are barred. They are a meat type, but without the leg and heart issues of the Cornish X. Could also explain why they are so large.

Back
Top Bottom