My 2012 Breeding Muscovys *Pic Heavy*

Quote:
How is it impossible to have a Blue-Lavender or a Silver-Lavender?

hu.gif

Silver X Lavender = 100% Blue split to Lavender

Blue split to Lavender X Blue split to Lavender will give 1/16 Silver-Lavender, 1/8 Blue-Lavender, 1/16 Lavender, 3/16 Black, 3/8 Blue, and 3/16 Silver (the Black, Blue and Silver will have a 2/3 chance of also being split to Lavender, but you couldn't tell by looking which ones are).

They don't have pics on the genetic calculator, but it shows how they're possible. I'm just curious to see what they look like. I'm not sure if Silver-Lavender would be between Silver and Lavender, or be even lighter than a Silver. I know that in chicken breeds with both Blue and Lavender, mixing them is discouraged because it reduces the distinctiveness between Blue, Splash (the equivalent of Silver in chickens) and Lavender when birds express both genes. I'm curious because I like the idea of my future "utility birds" being black and shades of gray, and am curious to know what birds will look like if I ran these colors together.

smile.png

Quote:
I'm curious because in the book on ducks I bought by Dave Holderread it's mentioned that many show birds are dusky because it "sharpens" the colors. In other words, the Black-Duskies are "blacker" than the Black-WildTypes, and this carries through with the Blue and Lavender genes. I'm wondering what the distinction is. Are the ones you have in the Black/Blue/Lavender group? Or are they among the brown colors? Hmmm.....dang....it's annoying to try and figure this out without actually having the birds myself. I might just have to spend a week at your place. Can I earn my keep doing chores?

hehehe

smile.png

All kidding aside I do think if you are this interested in Muscovy genetics you do need to SEE the birds not just in photos or read about them. There is a huge difference once you see them from hatching to adult hood. I have birds that will never photo like they really are. To understand it, you have to see it. Finding someone in your area with a very large shot gun flock would province allot of color and patterns for you to observe. Visit in the spring and then every 3 weeks or so until fall. You will make leaps and bounds by doing so.

Quote:
Yeah, I know....but I'm still stuck here being a student and working 4-5 nights a week....so I have to live vicariously through you people....and I know it's not the same, but it's all I have for the time being.

hit.gif

By June, I'll have graduated from here, be living in NJ, and will have some free time (I'm taking a year off) to make some poultry-keeping friends. I do know someone back home on Long Island with some poultry, so maybe I can convince her to let me buy her some Muscovies and direct her with breeding choices....hmmmm....geeky fun!!!

wink.png

Quote:
Thank you.. I really Enjoy Blacks Chocolates and Blues most..
I really like my solid colored birds. They are so much bigger then the pied birds I had a long time ago. Much more fun.. I can show them and do well with them....

Back
Top Bottom