My 6 year old was fed Ham in school today. advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had a 6 year old in quite sometime so forgive me if Im expecting to much for the age however can you tell your child to simply not eat any meat that she doesnt know what its origin is? or can you instruct her to say to an adult she trusts. Is this a pork product before she eats it?

Also, if the teacher doesnt let her eat the pork because she knows the family is Jewish it could go the other way and the parents could get made at the teacher for making assumptions?
I would let it go but talk to the teacher to avoid future issues.

Quote:
My child of 3 was taught to ask "are there nuts in this" before we allowed him to start preschool...not as a burden of responsibility but as a life saving skill. In addition, we met with administrators and teachers to go over the foods he shouldn't eat. We also showed them food lables and made sure they could look for and identify hidden and obvious nut products in foods. We quizzed them about how they proposed to keep my child separated from the kid with the peanut butter sandwich, and questioned their cleaning techniques after meals. We also made flyers with his picture on it for substitute teachers and asked that one be posted by the door. We educated the child and the teachers as was our responsibility. We met with several different people on multiple occasions before my childsetfoot in the door. We didn't want him to eat nuts, so WE made sure he didn't. Period. certainly not out of line for asking, appreciate the chance to share the experiences that help form my opinions.

It does seem to be quite a burden to put on a 6 year old. Poor girl was doing what all her friends were doing to fit in and have fun. I do understand Jewish traditions and that is all they are and they are entitled to follow them in this country afterall they choose to be under the Law.
Quote:

She just turned 6, and the ham was GREEN, so i am not sure she would have recognized it as meat. If it'd been pink and bloody, she would have refused. I would have reminded the teacher if I'd thought they'd feed my kindergartener ham. So i feel like the blame is shared by the teacher and myself. Her for not informing the parents about her intentions, and myself for not being very clear about our dietary restrictions. I have another child with a peanut allergy, and his teacher does a good job screening cupcakes, cookies, candy etc.

Also, if y'all have cloven hoofed horses with forked tails, i want to see pictures!

I think you are right to bring it up during the meeting later today. I'd also put it in writing so it becomes an 'official' notification. As your child gets older I'm sure she'll speak up more (and be more likely to realize it's something she shouldn't have) and that will be double protection. I'm sure the teacher is going to feel bad because she made the mistake/didn't realize. That, combined with the note should ensure it doesn't happen again. I think I'd make sure and send a note next year, too, or ask to have it in her record similar to allergy information so that it gets distributed to teachers and aides.

I thought it was really cute that the eggs tasted *green.*
smile.png

chickensducks&agoose :

If I'd thought there would be any chance of people serving meat in the school, other than at lunch, i would certainly have brought it up. It just didn't occur to me that this could happen!

Oh yes, and many classes/teams will "do" food as part of exploring different cultures. Like one class/group may provide a Latin American dish, another an Asian dish, etc., etc., etc. Food celebrations for perfect attendance, doing well on a state test, completing writing portfolios, etc. And of course the seasonal "parties" (although many schools are doing away with those).​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom