My ameraucanas are making me mad!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKid11, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    So my Ameraucanas ALL have red comb now thier two bone are 2 fingers apart....I think they are through with their molt. I have them on layer ration. When cam i expect an egg? One more question what does squatting look like??

2. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    Oh one thing I have them on a lighting system so the have 14 hrs of light!

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

how old are they?

4. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    They are 22 wks is that to early?

5. Colored Egg Farmer

they are very very close. most likely they will jsut supprise you. Ameraucanas, or ee's are a little bit slower to begin laying unlike breeds like sexlinks and leghorns that start at 16. It also might be a bit longer due to the season. However they should start laying probalby within the next 2-3 weeks and 4-5 at the most. good luck, My first chickens were ee's (Easter eggers) which is another name for ameraucana that are not pure breeds and I loved finding there colored eggs. It was an easter egg hunt every day! lol

6. Colored Egg Farmer

also forgot, Have they begun to squat?

7. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    Hey thanks that help one question what does squatting look like??

8. Colored Egg Farmer

pretty much the chicken "squats" onto the ground. She may raise her wings out and lift her tail up if you try to pat/pet her on the back. Thats a definate sign an egg will be soon.

9. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    One of them has been doing that.

10. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have three Easter Eggers. They are 28 1/2 weeks. The first one laid her first egg on October 13, the second one just laid her first egg today. So I still have one more to go. They all squatted for at least a couple of weeks before they laid, but what I really noticed was their combs and faces reddened dramatically right before the first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by