My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

My birds are 9 weeks old and looking really good. I got some pictures this morning of the two groups. Hoping to dig out the scale and get some weights this week.

Group 1 I have been limiting feed and keeping in a mobile tractor situation with yard access most the time. They are mostly NH cockerels and Delaware hens. Without getting weights, the holdbacks from this group of boys is not obvious yet. Though some are definitely closer to standard than others in color, there size is rather uniform. Great! The Delawares are awesome and also growing fast, but not nearly as quick as the NH. I think they will shine in overall size/shape and their temperaments are a great mix of predator wary but not nut cases. None have escaped the 4 foot electric fence.
20210922_094039.jpg

20210922_094035.jpg

20210922_094053.jpg

Group 2 I have been free feeding and keeping confined. I think the NHs will be ready for processing way sooner than the 16 weeks I was anticipating. 12 weeks is seeming way more likely, but again until I dig out the scale that is speculation. It will be nice to stagger the processing and do the birds as they are ready, NHs first and then delawares later. Easier on the freezer, and easier on me. Very different than the time bomb of cornish x.
20210922_094305.jpg

Hopefully weights to come. At the very least I will weigh the finished products on the kitchen scale.
The next step within a month will be choosing my first round of culls. After that I would like to reintegrate them and move the electric fenced yard and tractor to within my other chicken yard, beginning integration. They can live like that until snow restricts it. I am going to house all the remaining heritage birds (around 10 by winter) with my other 20 layers in the big barn for winter, and proceed with separating breeding groups in spring. Here is a picture of some of that other group just for fun. I am a bit worried about how Rupaul (pictured rooster) is going to adapt to some new cockerels in his life, but the big barn and huge yard should prove helpful.
20210922_094553.jpg

Any specific questions feel free! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20210922_094228.jpg
    20210922_094228.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 9
Today I shuffled the birds around and separated them by breed so I can start processing and selecting the NHs. Interesting note : The NHs were very feisty with the switch around. Much fighting and honking and chickening on. The Delaware's were much more relaxed about it and hardly made a fuss. Right now the NHs are on the pasture because I want every bird to get the chance to feel grasds before processing. The Delawares are holding the coop down until I process the NHs and make room in the chicken tractor next week.
I finally got the scale out and got some weights on the NHs because they looked close to ready. Very happy with what i'm seeing. The 10 week old NH cockerels are approaching 7lbs. The hens are at about 5 lbs. This is at 10 weeks, only two weeks longer than I grow my cornish x. :yesss: I am going to process 5 or 6 NH roosters next week.

TLDR: 10 week old heritage NH cockerels weighing in at about 7 lbs. Pullets 5lbs.

Today I shuffled the birds around and separated them by breed so I can start processing and selecting the NHs. Interesting note : The NHs were very feisty with the switch around. Much fighting and honking and chickening on. The Delaware's were much more relaxed about it and hardly made a fuss. Right now the NHs are on the pasture because I want every bird to get the chance to feel grasds before processing. The Delawares are holding the coop down until I process the NHs and make room in the chicken tractor next week.
I finally got the scale out and got some weights on the NHs because they looked close to ready. Very happy with what i'm seeing. The 10 week old NH cockerels are approaching 7lbs. The hens are at about 5 lbs. This is at 10 weeks, only two weeks longer than I grow my cornish x. :yesss: I am going to process 5 or 6 NH roosters next week.

TLDR: 10 week old heritage NH cockerels weighing in at about 7 lbs. Pullets 5lbs.
Those are great numbers - beats my best bird so far (Big Barred at 6.5#, approx 17 weeks). Very impressed with what you've got going there. Also love that you use your daughter for reference on size of birds. Love the photos.

I was rushed for time this morning but here are some pics I got. So today both the Delaware’s and New Hampshire’s are 9 weeks and 4 days. The one picture with my daughter holding them is a rooster and the other one the only hen we have. View attachment 2838569View attachment 2838570View attachment 2838571View attachment 2838572
My birds are 9 weeks old and looking really good. I got some pictures this morning of the two groups. Hoping to dig out the scale and get some weights this week.

Group 1 I have been limiting feed and keeping in a mobile tractor situation with yard access most the time. They are mostly NH cockerels and Delaware hens. Without getting weights, the holdbacks from this group of boys is not obvious yet. Though some are definitely closer to standard than others in color, there size is rather uniform. Great! The Delawares are awesome and also growing fast, but not nearly as quick as the NH. I think they will shine in overall size/shape and their temperaments are a great mix of predator wary but not nut cases. None have escaped the 4 foot electric fence.
View attachment 2842256

View attachment 2842260
View attachment 2842262

Group 2 I have been free feeding and keeping confined. I think the NHs will be ready for processing way sooner than the 16 weeks I was anticipating. 12 weeks is seeming way more likely, but again until I dig out the scale that is speculation. It will be nice to stagger the processing and do the birds as they are ready, NHs first and then delawares later. Easier on the freezer, and easier on me. Very different than the time bomb of cornish x.
View attachment 2842263
Hopefully weights to come. At the very least I will weigh the finished products on the kitchen scale.
The next step within a month will be choosing my first round of culls. After that I would like to reintegrate them and move the electric fenced yard and tractor to within my other chicken yard, beginning integration. They can live like that until snow restricts it. I am going to house all the remaining heritage birds (around 10 by winter) with my other 20 layers in the big barn for winter, and proceed with separating breeding groups in spring. Here is a picture of some of that other group just for fun. I am a bit worried about how Rupaul (pictured rooster) is going to adapt to some new cockerels in his life, but the big barn and huge yard should prove helpful.
View attachment 2842281
Any specific questions feel free! Thanks for looking.
These look more like red rangers than New Hampshire reds.

Last edited:
Those are great numbers - beats my best bird so far (Big Barred at 6.5#, approx 17 weeks). Very impressed with what you've got going there. Also love that you use your daughter for reference on size of birds. Love the photos.
Thank you! No kid here though. those pics were someone elses birds :)

I’ll take some more pictures of them in a group if I can.
I ordered NH chickens so I’m assuming that’s what they are. When I googled red rangers I got a variety of red color combos. Not sure and don’t care. I’m butchering these ones because my plans changed. I weighed two of the ones I got ahold of today and tomorrow they’re 11weeks exactly. The one weighed 8lbs 3oz and the other was 8lbs. So if you order these birds from freedom ranger hatchery they hatch eggs from arts hatchery which come from the Henry Noll line. I may be off a little off on the process but all three are involved. We’ll have to keep following Tre3hugger and see his results. And I know you’re not questioning me but just saying. I like to be open minded as well. My next chapter is going to be dominiques I believe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom