My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
I think some size and leg thickness difference is boy versus girl, but not a lot. Those are impressive. You are doing really well. Selective breeding works.
Thank you! I do agree, boy vs girl plays a role. I suspect already that the NH chick in the pic is a cockerel. No idea about the Delaware. Look at his little baby comb!

Beautiful birds, and a very impressive project that's going well. Love it!
How are the NH temperaments, especially the roosters? And are you restricting feeding for them?
I just found this thread again, so glad I did.
Mary
Appreciate the kind words! I would call the NHs bold, but not at all aggressive. They have never come at me, my friends, or my friends children aggressively, all of whom I have walked through the chicken yard. I often scoop them up and shuffle them from one yard to the next and they tolerate it. They also seem to deal with integration of younger birds well. Better than the pullets anyway! When I am in the yard they are curious what I am up to but keep a respectful distance. I haven't restricted feed, but more relied on competition at the feeder to limit their intake. In other words, once they are integrated, they have to share the feeder with birds that are bigger than them, and they can't just hang out and eat. So far in my experience they are more than happy to walk around and leave the feeder alone most of the day.

I haven't restricted feed, but more relied on competition at the feeder to limit their intake. In other words, once they are integrated, they have to share the feeder with birds that are bigger than them, and they can't just hang out and eat.
Be careful with this as they get older. My NH girls are integrated with a normal layer flock, and being bigger then 2-3 of the other hens together, they will muscle anyone out of the way and park. I have to spilt their feedings between 3 feeders to ensure the others get feed.

I will be free ranging the NHs once they are 12 weeks old & I remove them from the chicken tractor. I hope this helps keep their weight down some. I have a good friend with a Cornish Cross Rooster that is a year or two old and is a MONSTER in size but is free ranged and runs/breeds ok. I think if a Cornish cross can manage then these NHs should be alright, but we'll see.
The NH's probably will have little problem mounting hens.

Back
Top Bottom