My babies don't love me???

SportChick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Louisiana
I hatched out 6 barred rocks and they were so sweet. They sat it our hand and wanted to be with us all the time. Now I have 2 black copper marans chicks that we also hatched. They are about 10 days old and they are curious but are so much less affectionate. Is it the breed or were we just spoiled with the last ones. I tried to feed them some scrambled eggs. That really solidified the love from the BRs but these didn't want it at all. They are in the house with us and we hold them every day. They still run from our hands and they will sit for a second on our laps but then they want to move on an investigate everything. They aren't mean, but they definitely don't love us.
sad.png

Last edited:
I have six chooks--- its always been that three of them love being handled, but the other three are horrified to be picked up. Otherwise, they're all really friendly

I try to give treats to the chicks being raised by my two broodies and they come running when they see me, but hold them. No way.

The chicks I raised in my own brooder loved me.... but out of my 13 juvie pullets only 7 will eat out of my hand now.. The others have just become too skittish.

I heard how people had chickens that came a runnin whenever their person came into view. I never had that experience with mine. I did all the things - spoke softly held them often and gently - never chased them. So recently I got the cash for cluckers variety pack o pullets? Guess what? In the 20 that survived the trip. I have my sweeties. I had no time to talk softly to them or hold them for hours but some of them come a runnin when I come close to the run now. They eat out of my hand and like to be held for a short while. The orps I think would let me hold them all the time but no clue why some bonded with me and some didn't. I do think the biddies think I am the closest thing to a Momma Hen because they do all tend to come and follow me when I am in the run. They are 6 weeks old now. Either that or they identify me as the bringer of food. Now, the chickens I ordered last February which I am PATIENTLY waiting to receive come this week! They are Cuckoo and Copper Marans, a partridge cochin, frizzle chick and bantam easter eggers. We shall see how they turn out on the friendly cuddly scale. I do remind myself they are chickens and not labradores! LOL
Caroline

I think BR are especially affectionate.... we got 2 RIR, 2 EE and 2 BR and the BR want to be held and cuddled all the time. My EE are scared to death of me and the RIR are only interested if there is food in my hand. Good luck!

Chickens are chickens - have always been, and will always be chickens. What we as humans interpret as 'love' is simply just a chickens natural curiosity. Some breeds are more personable than others, but even the most personable breeds are still chickens.

Quote:
Stomachs on legs are always looking for food maybe they think we are food (be afraid, be very afraid, after all they do look like small 'saurs) or are bringing them food.

Back
Top Bottom