My baby's are eating cigarette butts

scubasteve305

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Homestead, FL
I need some advice I am new to chickens mine are almost 2 months old I have a big enclosed run for my birds but I am starting to let them out in the afternoons when I'm around to watch them. There are a lot of cigarette butts around my property from the previous owner I have been raking and picking them up. I thought I had picked them all up but my chickens keep finding them and actually eating them I am afraid they are going to get stuck in there intestines and they are going die. I would hate to loose a chicken to a cigarette butt. Should I be worried or will they be able to pass them through there system without any problems

I don't know about cigarette buts, but the brass casing from a .22 was killing one of my chickens slowly, as it got stuck in her gizzard. Make sure they have grit, so if it does try to stick, it can break up a bit.

Nicotine poisoning is a big concern - especially with something with such a small body mass as a chicken....more of a concern even than obstruction from the butts.

Back
Top Bottom