My biggest hen lays the smallest eggs

Mrskrieg77357

Chirping
Jul 21, 2020
My largest hen Miss Pickles she’s a black copper maran lays what I think are small eggs. Is this common with this breed? I just think it so funny! My Amerauacanas, RIRs and my leghorn all lay pretty decently sized eggs I’m not sure why hers are so small. It doesn’t make me love her any less though :love:love:love

Attachments

• 6BF7A914-AC6D-4CFC-B719-9E8E009C0162.jpeg
    6BF7A914-AC6D-4CFC-B719-9E8E009C0162.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 16F6217B-3B1C-4C07-8255-0C552B5BF1CA.jpeg
    16F6217B-3B1C-4C07-8255-0C552B5BF1CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Mine lay smaller eggs, too. It's a matter of age, diet and genetics. I've noticed my BCMs from a hatchery lay larger but lighter colored eggs.

Is this common with this breed?
Most breed standards say what size egg the hens "should" lay. If the person selecting the breeders uses that as a criteria when selecting which hens get to breed then that flock should mostly lay eggs that size. A whole lot of breeders don't pay much if any attention to that as a selection criteria so a lot of chickens of a breed don't lay eggs the size they "should".

When a pullet starts to lay her eggs are usually really small. That's nature's way of protecting her when her body may not have fully matured. The longer she lays the bigger the egg gets. From your photo she does not look that young but it can be hard to tell. The eggs might get bigger as she ages.

Wondering the same thing with my 2 bfcm hens. They are 8 months old and started laying at 4 months. Small pullet sized eggs that are getting a little larger but no where near the size of my Orpingtons or rir. Will they always be really small eggs?

Back
Top Bottom