1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken ate an earring!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harrington, Nov 9, 2008.

1. harrington

harrington New Egg

Nov 9, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My daughter was in the coop playing with our hens when all of a sudden the redstar pecked at and swallowed a gold post earring. Can I expect that she will pass it? We are hoping that her health will not be affected by this.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    May depend on how big it is. I'm not an expert though, and one of my chickens swallowed some cigarette butts so I feel you worries [​IMG]

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    If not, it will stay lodged in her crop and you can get it when she passes on. Someone wrote about a watch (I think it was a watch!) found in the crop of a chicken they processed. I worry about mine snatching my earrings all the time, I have small diamond post earrings and they must twinkle because my chickens ALWAYS notice them if I am in close range...lucky they didn't tear her earlobe. [​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It will either pass or stay in the gizzard as a form of grit. If it stays in the gizzard you may not get it back for several days.

Matt

5. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I lost a small gold stud too. I tried my best to get it out of my hens mouth but gulp, it was gone. She is fine and NO I did not go hunting through poo for it. [​IMG]

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    This happened to me too....now I don't feel like the "lone ranger" lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by