My chicken died today... What happened to him?

Roberts2100

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Madison, AL
My chicken (Rooster) was trying to get it on with my duck so I chased him off of her. I chased him around the yard till I get him. When I picked him up from his legs. I held him by his legs and picked him up. When I did he spasmed out I guess and started spitting up water. I turned him up and put him down. He tried to breath but its like he couldn't get air. I tried turning him upside down again and more water come out. I then put him down again and he still could't breath. I didn't know what to do. I don't know what happened to him. Did I kill him from chasing him some around the yard or what? If something like this happens again. One not breathing what do I do next time?

What should I have done just left him upside down and let it run out and vomit then put him down? Was it from me chasing him? Or dose turning them upside down cause them to drown in there own fluid?

What is the safe way to pick them up then? I thought that you pick them up by there legs so they don't fly off or hurt them selves?

He must have thrown up when upside down (they can vomit when upside down) and then when he was turned right side up, aspirated.

I am sorry for your loss. Try to avoid turning them upside down, is all I can say. Chasing him around wouldn't have done anything.

I turn chickens on their backs on the ground to dust them for mites...but maybe when they are upset and full of water they can vomit. I have not had one vomit when I dust them. Too, their heads are upright as they lay on their backs.

Pick them up by tucking your hands under them and then hold them at your side, tucked under your arm like a football, or in front of your chest, supporting them under the body.

Last edited:
Sorry about your rooster. I sold three roosters to a guy today and had to explain the same thing to him... They had just finished drinking, so their crops were full of water. I explained the upside down thing and told him that they had to be on their left sides for the drive home (some people tape their legs and put them in feed bags). One should also be careful not to put pressure on the crop when picking up and carrying poultry for the same reason.

He must have thrown up when upside down (they can vomit when upside down) and then when he was turned right side up, aspirated.

I am sorry for your loss. Try to avoid turning them upside down, is all I can say. Chasing him around wouldn't have done anything.

I turn chickens on their backs on the ground to dust them for mites...but maybe when they are upset and full of water they can vomit. I have not had one vomit when I dust them. Too, their heads are upright as they lay on their backs.

Pick them up by tucking your hands under them and then hold them at your side, tucked under your arm like a football, or in front of your chest, supporting them under the body.
The crop is the first thig I check when I dust a bird... I have had one vomit while trying to dust it.

Sorry about your loss. You should not feel guilty about this, stuff like this happens.

For next time maybe just scare the rooster away from the duck(s) or spray him with water.

Back
Top Bottom