My chicken got startled by neighborhood dog and flew off:(

chickadde

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
She has been gone for two weeks and was seen yesterday about 350 feet from our residence! Any ideas or advise to help
her to come home would be very appreciated! I put food out there this morning and checked on the bowl later today and seen some of the feed is gone. Missing our waddles terribly! Any help on ways to get her home would be great!

Yes they come running to me for treats, but she has een gone for 3 weeks and is terrified of everything now:(

How close are you able to get before she runs? If you can't catch her by hand or with a net, I suppose you could try putting food in a walk-in trap, like a hav-a-hart.

Chickadde how awful for you to know where she is but not be able to coax her home
sad.png

I have a couple of ideas.

First, is she staying in a general area? Are you able to see her/find her again easily? If yes, I would suggest locating her late afternoon/dusk and then keeping a close eye on her to see where she is sleeping. As long as she is not sleeping at the top of a tall tree you may be able to catch her/pick her up when it is dark and bring her home.

Second suggestion, do you have other chickens? Was there one in particular she may have been close to?
I’m thinking a temporary enclosure with her ‘friend’ in it and of course, you close by with maybe some meal worms or other favourite treat and to ensure no harm comes to your other chicken. The sight/sound of her friend or another chicken may entice her.

I hope you get her home!
fl.gif

I have been searching the very treed area each day, but so far I have not come across where she is nestng:( However, I did see her yesterday morning and she hurried and turned and went into the area. She is coming out and eating every morning though. I'm just wondering if It's possible to trap her in a animal trap by putting the food inside the trap, and checking it first thing in the morning. Any suggestions or ideas!

Back
Top Bottom