my chicken has a Hemorrhoid type hanging out of it Anal track

Pompey

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
it has been a while since been on thank you to those who made suggestion last time.
now i have another question came home today and one of my chickens has a big ball of skin hanging out of its Anal track

If possible...run a warm bath with some epsom salt and soak her bottom for 20 minutes or so. You can apply preparation h, neosporin without pain relief, or even honey. Make sure the area is clean. If at all possible try to push it back in place. It may take more than a day. You'll want to keep her separate for a while and inside where it's warm. Another thing that can help is to keep her in as much darkness as possible for a while to prevent her from trying to lay another egg and making it worse. Try reducing feed as well.

If at all possible you could find an avian vet and see if they can stitch it in place. This is not a guarantee fix, but may help.

Last edited:
use preparation H with the anal thingy. Push back the vent into her rear end and then use the preparation H. Make sure you squeeze enough into it. You will need to do it twice a day. It will only take a few days to reduce the swelling. I have used it multiple times with some of my girls. It is their intestine coming out just like hemorrhoids and Preparation H is safe on chickens. If she gets the prolapsed vent again, just push it back in and give more preparation H. I promise it will help.

It depends on how severe the prolapse is. A picture would be very helpful. If it's small there should be no problem pushing it in, but if it's sever like my hen this summer that is not an option. Epsom salt baths and lots of honey will be her friend. Also a few stitches here and there will hold everything in place while the swelling reduces.

Hi. my hen had exact same thing. to the point where it was dragging on the ground and the other hens were pecking at It. We just put her in a warn bath, got a pair of thin gloves and used glycerin as lubrication and gently put it back in. We had to do it a few times but the last time we held it in her for at least 10 minutes. After that she went inside the coop, put her little head under her wing and sat in there for hours. It was amazing as she somehow knew that sleep would help her. 3 days later she laid and have never had the problem since. Good luck

ive dealt with prolaps in other animals, not birds, but be sure all is clean, wow, the chance for infection can be great when pushing things in, i would consult a vet, if not be carefull not to scratch the prolaps and im not sure if ya can use any antibiotic cream, see the experts here on that, good lick with her

Back
Top Bottom