My chicken has heavy bloody discharge form nose!!!

silkyfun

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
I have a three year old orpington mix and apparently during the night she had a horrible bloody nose or something because large lumpy amounts of blood were splattered on the roost and the walls. Her nose is now just kind of bloody but dried and she has no trouble breathing. There are no other signs of illness, she eats fine and is bright and alert. I use straw bedding and her egg production is slightly lowered but its also very cold so that may be the cause too. I have no idea how to treat and haven't administered anything yet. She's only done this once before but never this badly. No other birds have these signs but I really don't want anything to spread so PLEASE HELP!!!!

I also have a little silky that has a neck prolem or something becausee her neck keeps twisting downwards and to the side. She corrects herself by backing into a wall and doing a little flip to straighten herself. She started this only a week ago. She has a wonderlful appetite and drinks completely normal. She's very alert with no signs of illness other thank the neck thing.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for your chickie troubles....

The Orp mix - could be injury, but if she's done it before it could be a respiratory infection.. AI I know has blood come from nostrils. Tylan 50 or 200 is used to help with respiratory infections. 1/2 cc for an average adult bird injected under skin where neck, shoulders meet for 3 days. It could be something else, but this comes first to mind... caution as many respiratory illness are carrier states or spread easily, so handle sick birds last and pull them from well birds.

The Silkie has wry neck, common in Silkies... give a good poultry vitamin like Poultry Nutri drench or a childrens liquid vitamin poly vi sol, along with vitamin E gel caps, 1 big gelcap per day squeezed in her mouth. Vit E is very important.... do it for 1 week, then continue for a few more days after she looks well. Sometimes 2 weeks is needed....

I don't know what to do about your BO. However, i had a BO chick doing the same thing as your silkie; I have heard it called crooked neck. if left untreated it will permanetly stay crooked. Not life-threatening it does make it hard for the chicken to eat and drink and other chickens will beat her up as a result. If caught early enough like yours, treat with a 200mg liquid gel capsule of vitamin E cracking it open and feeding with a dropper being careful not to get it in the lungs also use a 1/2 dropperful of b-complex do both of these twice a day until healed it took me about a week and 1/2 to heal my BO chick. best of luck

Ok I think I will try the medications for now and see if they work. Thanks!

Good advice on the vitamin boost for the Silky, but I'm still puzzling on the Orp since she seems to be fine other than the blood bath.

Is there any possibility she caught and ate a mouse or something like that? Chickens can be pretty serious rodent killers and they will eat it all, in as ugly a fashion as possible and not share. Check her and the others for comb damage as well. If they have a comb injury that looks small there may well be blood all over the place. Sometimes they get testy in the winter, due to shorter days. Which could also account for the egg production drop.

I wouldn't treat with any antibiotics unless you know they are needed, since it will build resistance in the future and you would have to throw out the eggs for 2-4 weeks.

She actually LOVES mice so that could be a possibility but she had dried blood around her nostrils which doesn't make sense and from what I can tell no other chicken or herself have any injuries. I think I will see how she does for a little while longer since she seems healthy and keeps an apetite and drinking habit. Thanks for the help!
smile.png

So I have about a half year old buff orpington and when I looked at her she had some blood on her beak, a little on her nostril and some blood leading up her comb. Because its winter I didn't think any mice would be out so I don't know what happened.

Back
Top Bottom