My chicken has passes a large lump [graphic pics]

It looks like an undeveloped fetus to me also. And all the "layers" almost look like where a shell kept trying to form around it.

I had an internal laying chicken and took it to the vet and performed surgery. She removed a 2 lb mass of egg substance. This kinda looks similiar (except much smaller). I am going to try to upload the picture from my cell phone. But you talk about something else to get you grossed out. Unbeleivable what these poor chickens have to endure.

I sure hope she is doing ok for you. I would treat her with some antibiotic in her water just in case.

i am no expert. Looks like fat and meat (skin, flesh) deposited on top of each other. Maybe it's just a benign tumor that passed? If i found something like that i would send it to our local University, farm animal division, for analysis.

I have seen several identical passings on threads here. I knew it would look like that inside before you posted the pics. Do a search on here & you will see it happens quite frequently. Most of the chickens are fine & continue laying so don't worry too much. My personal opinion is that it is a mixture of egg & tissue materials. It's not an ovary.

She seems to be okay but not laying at the moment. When I seperated her she was in a large cage (small wire meshed) so nothing could have gotton in with her.
I would like to point out that there was no blood on this even when I cut it open..
I am now thinking it is some kind of growth but I wonder how it detached itself, because that yellow tube thing looks like it had been delibrately broken of (so where is the other bit) probably still inside her:(
I will keep an eye on her..

Oh another strange thing happened the other day my chickens got hold of a live mouse they found and ripped it to shreds, was not happy with my girls, I was in shock:eek:

New to this site why can't I get my smilies to work please?

Quote:
I just PM you. I am having issues with trying to get my picture uploaded to show it to you. The similies sometimes don't work for me . Did you click on the more similies button? I will keep trying to get picture uploaded.

Lisa

ew
sickbyc.gif
I hope your poor girl is okay, I almost threw up just looking at the picture
btw you gotta space before you click a smiley on. see
sickbyc.gif
see:sick when you don't space they don't work.

Last edited:
WOW !! I hope she is OK. That is crazy. I'm new at raising chickens so I don't have a clue. Poor chicken. I hope she is gonna be OK.

Chickens love mice. We've had to clear out a few mice nests in the coop and the chickens go nuts over them.

I think I might take a print of that thingy to my biology class tonight.
After researching how the ovaries actually work (the ovary makes the yolk, and the rest of it gets added on as it travels down the tube) and since I think you said she had stopped laying for a while, it could be that it did sorta cook as it traveled too slowly down the tube, and the normally thin layers piled up on top of it, cooked. It's not a fetus, though. Chickens don't work that way. The Cornell Atlas of Avian diseases shows all sorts of gross pics of tumored ovaries. She could easily have passed a tumored egg yolk.
I'm just throwin' out ideas. I have no real evidence to support my hypothesis here.
Ask me again in ten years when I'm a vet. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom