My chicken has weakness in her legs and won't stand.

nurselisa

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 5, 2014
Found her outside between a tree and a pallet. She had one lag straight our behind her. Washed her off with cool water to cool her down. Thought it might just be heat? I live in Arizona. She is cooled down, but still cannot stand on her legs. she just keeps toppling over. Eyes look fine, and no visible lumps. She keeps trying to get out of the bucket I have her in, but then she just falls over on her side. Anyone??? Please help. I had another chicken die last week in the same area, but just attributed it to the high temps (113). Now I am worried.

Thanks,
Lisa

i found mine the same way, took a week to find out she has a tape worm.
after a week of solitude and rest with extra protein food, vitamin b water and a dose of Zimecterin Gold, she is back to walking.

Before I found out the tape worm I explored the possibility of her being egg-bound, Mareks and Rickets.

Keep looking until you find what it is that has her down, so many things have leg weakness and paralysis as a symptom

Last edited:
How did you find out about the tape worm? Thanks so much for your reply.
Lisa

I had no idea until I noticed her poop with white wiggly worms in it =( which after I did some research found out they weren't baby worms, but cysts of 100 or eggs looking for an intermediate host. some creepy stuff!!!
here's the thread of me asking questions and getting help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/910414/please-help-small-white-worms-in-poop/20#post_13881489

keep searching, you'll find out how to help your chicken =)

Here are some tape worm poop evidence I found on google

mind you, not all dropping contain these cysts even while infected with a tapeworm. Because the tape worm only releases it's eggs at certain times. so keep looking.

Last edited:
She is better today. Standing fine. So it cant be Marecks, right? She would still be paralyzed, I think. Thanks for the thread and info. I had no idea chickens can get tape worms. Creepy!!

Back
Top Bottom