My chicken is just sitting and won't walk

tad328

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Hello- I am hoping for some help. My RIR will not move. She is just laying wherever I put her. Her color is good, doesn't appear to have any mites. I have fed her cooked eggs and she is eating just fine. Seems that she may not be drinking as much. When I first approached her this morning, she was trying to peck me but then she was ok with me feeding her. I have her separated from the rest of the flock and in a cage right now. I tried to take her out of the cage and put her food away from her, but she would not walk to it to eat.

Hello- I am hoping for some help. My RIR will not move. She is just laying wherever I put her. Her color is good, doesn't appear to have any mites. I have fed her cooked eggs and she is eating just fine. Seems that she may not be drinking as much. When I first approached her this morning, she was trying to peck me but then she was ok with me feeding her. I have her separated from the rest of the flock and in a cage right now. I tried to take her out of the cage and put her food away from her, but she would not walk to it to eat.

How old is your bird? When you put her down and she just stays where you put her - is she all fluffed up?

She is 2 years old. She is sometimes fluffed up but most of the time she is just laying there.

Can she stand or move her legs? At this age it could possibly be internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. I would check inside her vent (with a rubber glove) just to make sure she isn't egg bound. Check her for lice and mites--they may be noticed more under the vent area. Has she been wormed recently? These things can all cause these symptoms. Check her crop for impacted or sour crop--it should be empty in early morning. I have had hens with EYP and gizzard blockage that acted the same way, would move, would eat eggs and nothing else, and then died. Here is some reading:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

Thank you ! I will check all of these things. She will not stand or move her legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom