my chicken is sick :(

So Menerva is better. Her crop is basically empty and only has grit in it and her abdomen is no longer swollen. Marilla has not improved. I gave them both a little greek yoghurt a few hours ago and they liked it, but Marilla vomited a bit when she bent down to eat it. Also, I picked her up and she vomited. Marilla is very weak but I think Menerva is basically cured! Should I take Menerva out of isolation tomorrow?
Honestly, I would wait a couple of days. Continue giving her small amounts of scrambled eggs and the yogurt... the first thing she is going to want to do is fill her crop. I would wait to make sure it’s consistently emptying at night for a few days in a row.

Honestly, I would wait a couple of days. Continue giving her small amounts of scrambled eggs and the yogurt... the first thing she is going to want to do is fill her crop. I would wait to make sure it’s consistency emptying at night for a few days in a row.
ok, thanks. Should I also feed Marilla? She is getting really weak...

How many days has she been without food? If her crop is not emptying, it will do no good to feed her. The food won’t go down and be digested, it will simply continue to add to the problem.
So I stopped giving her food on Wednesday. I am scared that she is going to starve as she has had sour crop since Tuesday and it hasn't been emptying. What can I do to get some food into her system? Does Marilla need to be put down because she isn't recovering?

I would give her garlic water and plain Greek yogurt. That’s what I’m currently giving my sour crop chicken. Tomorrow I’m going to try the scrambled eggs. I know you’re worried about starving her but it’s not you; it’s the impacted crop. Loading her Up with food will just make it worse. I don’t think you need to cull yet.... I would give more time and see if the bio dome corrects itself by adding the live cultures from the yogurt

We had to cull Marilla as she was really really skinny and was just getting worse and miserable 😢. I let her go into the garden in her last few hours of life but she barely moved and kept closing her eyes. I think I could have saved her if I identified the sour crop earlier.

So sorry for your loss. Sour crop is frequently a secondary problem from some other disease, especially reproductive disorders. I have loss quite a few who never responded to treatment. Upon autopsy, most had internally laid lash eggs, cancer, ascites, or infection.

So sorry for your loss. Sour crop is frequently a secondary problem from some other disease, especially reproductive disorders. I have loss quite a few who never responded to treatment. Upon autopsy, most had internally laid lash eggs, cancer, ascites, or infection.
Yeah she didn't lay an egg the entire time she was in isolation.

We had to cull Marilla as she was really really skinny and was just getting worse and miserable 😢. I let her go into the garden in her last few hours of life but she barely moved and kept closing her eyes. I think I could have saved her if I identified the sour crop earlier.
Don’t beat yourself up.... sour crop is incredibly difficult to heal and you didn’t know. I lost one bc I vomited her and caused her to aspirate... it’s a lesson learned and now you’ll know for the future. But NOT your fault.... she had a way better life than a factory chicken!!!

Don’t do that to yourself! You did what you felt right and I think you made the right call. Telling from the post, I can see that you love your flock and she lived the best life she could. I’m sorry that you had to do that :hugs
We culled our first hen in June and I was always thinking “I should’ve done something better” but it was the best decision.

Back
Top Bottom