my chicken is sick :(

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
Sour crop is very difficult to treat, and I’m not an expert so I’m not going to say much except DONT try and vomit the chicken; once it’s sour it’s too late for that. Take away food and water immediately until you find out what to do next. I’m going to look up this video that I watched way too late when my last bird had sour crop. She died bc I didn’t do my homework and treat her properly ☹ Let me find the video and I’ll post it for you.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza.No, I'm jockin!
Premium Feather Member
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Is her abdomen swollen? For example , under the vent?

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
So, I put Marilla in isolation last night (she wasn't roosting) and noticed that Menerva was sitting on the nest. I thought she had gone broody but this morning she had a full squishy crop and a really swollen abdomen. Marilla has a swollen abdomen too. They are both in isolation but Marilla is a lot weaker than Menerva. I tried to offer garlic water (like in the video) but the weren't interested. So I just put some water in there (no food) because I'm not comfortable leaving them in a cage without water. I am going to try and feed the scrambled eggs and greek yoghurt tomorrow or mabye this arvo. Please tell me if I am doing something wrong.
Thanks

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
So Menerva is better. Her crop is basically empty and only has grit in it and her abdomen is no longer swollen. Marilla has not improved. I gave them both a little greek yoghurt a few hours ago and they liked it, but Marilla vomited a bit when she bent down to eat it. Also, I picked her up and she vomited. Marilla is very weak but I think Menerva is basically cured! Should I take Menerva out of isolation tomorrow?

Top Bottom