My chicken is sleeping on the ground

is there a way to let more natural light into the coop? or maybe have a light in the coop that shuts off after dark? just enough light inside so she can find the roost.
There is a small window in the coop. Maybe I can put christmas lights outside the coop and turn them off when I put the chickens away for the night?

Its a small coop 4 by 4 with 4 chickens in it.
Pics would be good.
Is it easy for them to get up on roosts?

I agree. I checked for mite and didnt see any. Im thinking she either couldnt see the roost in the dark or the coop was dirty. Cross my finger that she roosts tonight
Nothing to do with a dirty coop....and I doubt it have to do with mites.....but...
Here's to how to do a ....
Bug Check
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

There is a small window in the coop. Maybe I can put christmas lights outside the coop and turn them off when I put the chickens away for the night?

Might need a bigger window, or a window facing in a different direction. Or an artificial light at dusk can also do the same thing. If birds can't see inside the coop, they can't navigate.

Back
Top Bottom