Sep 9, 2022
Hi everyone my Frizzle Silkie mix has been sneezing for a bit but she has been acting normal so I thought nothing of it. I use a scratch with a lot dust, so I thought the sneezing was because of that. Today I noticed one of her eyes had foam in it, so I immediately isolated her. I also took out the waterer and feeder out of the coop to prevent spreading any potential diseases. I washed her eye out with saline solution and her eye does not look injured. I looked up the symptoms and nothing matched what she had. There is no swelling, she’s laying like usual, eating, drink, and being very active. She is even breathing normal so I’m stumped. What should I do and what antibiotics should I use? (The picture below is for reference and this is the good eye)
IMG_1243.jpeg

Have you added her or any new birds to the flock recently? I would observe her a few times a day to see if more foam or eyelid swelling occurs. Can you keep her inside a wire dog crate in the coop with her own food and water. I would just clean out the feeder and waters for the others. Most like she has been exposed to something the same as the others. If the foam comes back, clean the eye and use Terramycin eye ointment or triple antibiotic twice a day.

Have you added her or any new birds to the flock recently? I would observe her a few times a day to see if more foam or eyelid swelling occurs. Can you keep her inside a wire dog crate in the coop with her own food and water. I would just clean out the feeder and waters for the others. Most like she has been exposed to something the same as the others. If the foam comes back, clean the eye and use Terramycin eye ointment or triple antibiotic twice a day.
She is the new bird but I’ve had her for a month and a half and this is the only problem I’ve had with her. The frizzle is currently inside an old rabbit cage (it’s pretty spacious) and l washed out the feeder and waters. I cleaned the eye and the foam came back so I’ll use the triple antibiotic twice a day. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate the advice about the triple antibiotic I didn’t think about that!

MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum can cause these symptoms. It could be a mild case, but you might want to get some Tylosin (Tylan) powder for the water, and treat her for 3-5 days. It would take a few days to get to you, but is available here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
I was considering that could be the cause of the sneezing and the foamy eye but she no other symptoms. I’ll probably treat for it anyways because I just want to make sure she is healthy! Thank you so much for the link!

Back
Top Bottom