My Chicken Just Die!

laydees

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
I had to pet chickens and one just pass away this morning! I don't know what happen but she had a large puncture wound in her which filled with maggots I got ready to do the cleanup and she died! She was my baby girl and I'm now worried about my other lady being alone! What should I do, I can face my lady yet, not knowing what I can do for her and the lost of her friends. They were hatch together, I can't leave her alone. Please help me......

I'm really sorry to hear that.
sad.png

Fly strike is very dangerous and even a small wound can get infected by maggots and lead to death.

Should I clean everything if so with what. Will my lady be OK without the other? Should I look for mate baby or grown lady is 2. I am so scared she will die too. I nee d some help please I'm so upset!

Fly strike is not contagious, though cleaning the coop may help prevent infections of other kinds. You can try getting her a couple companions and introduce them over a few weeks. They will take a while to learn to get along, but they should soon, and she will feel safer with them. A lot of people have to rehome their small flocks of hens and they are often for free.

Is that what happen as maybe the other one gave her a bad peck as she sometimes can I just brought some stop pecking I guess to late! What how with my other one?

She could have caused a small wound and the maggots found it. The other hen may feel lonely, but you don't have to rush to get her a companion or two. You can get them after you are sure the other is healthy and strong.

So I want to find a chickens her size. Should I keep her in the house tonight so she not by herself, alone? My chicken house is clean so not diseases as I thought it might be. Does lady know she died? I know you are not a chicken, I'm just to care for lady lost. I'm so very sad as I didn't spend much time with her yesterday. I read a lot about care and really take above normal care for them. I haven't read of such a thing happening over wise I would of given it more attention!

I'm sure you take wonderful care of your chickens.
smile.png

Yes, it is best to get a chicken around her size, but try to find a calm, friendly, docile breed.

Thank you for helping me! I'm in shock I can't believe such a a horrible to one of babies and she is gone. How I can't spell the breed the are, I have no other chickens and only know buff orfening (hopefully you can figure out what breed I'm trying to spell. They are large, heavy weight she was beautiful black which showed colors of purple, dark blues in the sunlight both very friendly. Where is best for my chicken tonight as they have a large coop area and she would be all alone! Should I make a pen in my house or keep her in her house maybe in pen. This a big question for me as I don't know what to do tonight. Tomorrow I'll call our feed stores and see if any are available. Someone suggested getting three instead of two. I think I might get two more so God forbid this ever happens again I won't be left with just one. Any pecking they will be protected with the pecking treatment. Thank You Again. If anyone can answer my questions I could be a little more secure that I'm doing all I can for Lady tonight.

I need two special Buff Orpington my lady just died from a wound she received unknown to me as I check my 2 girls daily but not yesterday. Maggots got in her wound just as I started the operation to remove them after reviewing the how to advice on Backyards help. She pass way in minutes. I new 2 yes old. Does anyone have 2 or even 1 or suggest where I would maybe locate this breed. I'm in northern CAlifornia willing to cover costs to ship of course. Please can anyone help me...?

Back
Top Bottom