My chicken walks weird sometimes

kinkajou34

Songster
Oct 9, 2020
I've noticed that sometimes my hen will start walking backwards and sideways like she's drunk, but she will carry on normally in a minute or so. Should I be worried?

I've noticed that sometimes my hen will start walking backwards and sideways like she's drunk, but she will carry on normally in a minute or so. Should I be worried?
Could she be molting? I have a silkie that just got over acting like that for several days. I gave them all vitamins (Poultry Cell) in their water but not sure it helped much. Regardless, it only lasted a few days.

Could she be molting? I have a silkie that just got over acting like that for several days. I gave them all vitamins (Poultry Cell) in their water but not sure it helped much. Regardless, it only lasted a few days.
She's been doing it for about six months but I noticed that it's something that my other chickens don't do.

She's been doing it for about six months but I noticed that it's something that my other chickens don't do.
What breed of chicken do you have? I ask only because with silkies, the first time any one of them starts acting weird, I break out the vitamins as it's no doubt a vitamin deficiency. I would get Poultry Cell, Nutra Drench, or something like that and put it in their water for few days just in case that's what it is. You could also toss in some pro-biotics every few days too, like Greek Yogurt, or Hydro Hen, or sometimes raw vinegar I've used (1 tablespoon per gallon).

She is a red sex link
What breed of chicken do you have? I ask only because with silkies, the first time any one of them starts acting weird, I break out the vitamins as it's no doubt a vitamin deficiency. I would get Poultry Cell, Nutra Drench, or something like that and put it in their water for few days just in case that's what it is. You could also toss in some pro-biotics every few days too, like Greek Yogurt, or Hydro Hen, or sometimes raw vinegar I've used (1 tablespoon per gallon).

Ah, okay. Nothing here explains it, but this article at least taught me more about your type of chicken and is interesting.

Still, my only thought is that there's some vitamin deficiency going on with her. I hope she gets better!

Back
Top Bottom