my chicken won’t walk nor eat

Sorry for your loss. I live in Ohio as well, and the state vet will do a necropsy for $23 if you bring her body into the lab in Columbus. They will also let you ship the body overnight on ice packs via Fedex or UPS. They are only open M-F, so you know the body must arrive on one of those days. Keep the body cool but not frozen, and wrapped in 2 clean garbage bags. They can usually tell you if it looks like Mareks, but they have to send off tissue for the Mareks test to confirm it and that and any other special tests you want costs extra. They will send the necropsy results to a local vet you choose, and then you will get the report from that vet.

Sorry for your loss. I live in Ohio as well, and the state vet will do a necropsy for $23 if you bring her body into the lab in Columbus. They will also let you ship the body overnight on ice packs via Fedex or UPS. They are only open M-F, so you know the body must arrive on one of those days. Keep the body cool but not frozen, and wrapped in 2 clean garbage bags. They can usually tell you if it looks like Mareks, but they have to send off tissue for the Mareks test to confirm it and that and any other special tests you want costs extra. They will send the necropsy results to a local vet you choose, and then you will get the report from that vet.
@FlyingNunFarm You might find this post usefull.

They have never offered to do a necropsy without a vet being involved from the beginning. Where I live there isn’t a chicken vet.... possibly for parrots and such but that comes with a high price. Most vets in my area are expensive. General check up for a dog is easy $100+.

If you would like to send in for tests yourself I recommend this lab.
http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/avian-bird

They have never offered to do a necropsy without a vet being involved from the beginning. Where I live there isn’t a chicken vet.... possibly for parrots and such but that comes with a high price. Most vets in my area are expensive. General check up for a dog is easy $100+.

If you would like to send in for tests yourself I recommend this lab.
http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/avian-bird
This is not a reliable test for Marek's disease.
It is known for false negative results.

Back
Top Bottom