My chickens and ducks will not eat their feed

You need to retrain them. You might do so with a shaker can of scratch grain. Possibly, you could lure them into the coop for a snack every night. But most likely, you will need to put up a run, and will most likely need to COVER it in order to re-train them.

My birds are trained to a shaker can of scratch grain. When ever I give a treat of any kind, I call them. If it's a can of scratch grain, they get the verbal prompt along with the sound of the grain. If they are ranging, and I need to pen them, a bit of scratch grain, and a verbal call gets them all in the run pronto.

Pretty much, the only time they get scratch is if I need to pen them or give them some diversion.[/QUOTE
I think your right, ill try to do that. My black stars are my only good girls that respond to my verbal calls, they will get some what close, but if they dont see a can of worms or loaf bread in my hands they take off.

I think your right, ill try to do that. My black stars are my only good girls that respond to my verbal calls, they will get some what close, but if they dont see a can of worms or loaf bread in my hands they take off

Thank you, although i have tried at night but im kind of heavy set, and they hear me coming everytime :)
Got a spot light? Blind them at night in an upward angle and don't let the light shine on an escape route for them. They'll have no choice but to sit and be caught

A week ago I let my flock permanently free range after putting a fence up. But now they wont touch any feed i lay out. They are all around 4 months old. Im worried about their health. Also unrelated topic but they also will not go in their coop at night or when it rains, they stay under my fig tree at that time, ive tried to catch them but they are to fast, can anyone help. I have an olive egger, blue americana, 4 black stars, a pekin, and a khaki Campbell.

Not to your question, but I am jealous of your fig tree. :love
I've planted three in my life and not one has made it.

Back
Top Bottom