My chickens don't like any kind of treats??why?

joshissman

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Hi I have 6 Welsummers one month, 6 one americauna one month and 3 buff Orpington's over two months old. None of them will eat any treats apple,tomato, meal worms earth worms, ill leave a bowl of finely cut fruit or veggys won't even touch it I don't get it?? Any ideas? Also there skidish of me I was hoping to use treats to make them like me more but nope. I have seen them eat earth worms they caught seems like they don't want anything from me except there feed and water

Why don't you try taking all food and water away from the chickens in the night, then in the morning put the dried mealworms or what ever treat you want in a tub or bucket with a lid. Then every morning as you go to let the chickens out rattle the treats in the bucket as you walk towards the chicken shed so they get used to the noise and try to feed them by hand as soon as you open the door, do not have any feed in the shed until you have finished. It will make them learn that you are a source of food and they know food is coming when you make that noise with the bucket. You will have to be patient and don't make any sudden movements. Because they haven't eaten or drank anything all night the first thing they want is food and water so they should eventually come to you. Do this every day and your chickens will become a lot tamer. Let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Thanks I think I will try crack corn or maby scratch feed and if they like that ill try the container method you mentioned if not ill have to start allowing them to run out of food by the end if the night and see if they will try anything in the mornings thanks again

hi, my method is working well because my gold wyandottes were eating from my hand this morning and they were very scared of me before. If you want to treat them then I would be very careful when using corn or maize in warm weather because it helps them to keep warm and you dont want them to overheat, try dried mealworm or even as i do i just use the growers pellets that i usually feed them throughout the day

My one RIR usually doesn't take treats from me unless she is very hungry, like first thing in the morning hungry. The other pullets will eat right out of my hand any time of the day and the RIR just stands there and watches, sometimes she takes a piece and pecks at it but doesn't eat it. She likes to be pet and held so it's not a tameness issue and it's not a dominance thing like she's low on the pecking order either, she's actually lead hen of the group, just has never accepted treats from me.
hu.gif

My chicks are 9 wks. old and are still apprehensive about new treats. They're getting better, when they were younger they wanted nothing to do with anything new. They'd eat their starter feed, boiled/scrambled egg, and oatmeal with no problem but they've been getting the egg and oatmeal from the first few weeks. Whenever I introduce something new, they all stand around and just look at it!

The barred rocks are the more adventuresome of the chicks and I find they're usually the first to take a taste. Once they pronounce it "good", the others dive in! So far they really enjoy peas, corn, diced garden lettuce, and . . . cicada's! The cicada's are the most fun to give them as whoever grabs it gets chased by the other five. Great entertainment!

Be patient, they'll get the hang of it and will soon be begging you for treats!

Hi I have 6 Welsummers one month, 6 one americauna one month and 3 buff Orpington's over two months old. None of them will eat any treats apple,tomato, meal worms earth worms, ill leave a bowl of finely cut fruit or veggys won't even touch it I don't get it?? Any ideas? Also there skidish of me I was hoping to use treats to make them like me more but nope. I have seen them eat earth worms they caught seems like they don't want anything from me except there feed and water

I don't see that being a bad thing really.

Back
Top Bottom