My chickens feet are swollen and I don’t know why please help

She still eating and drinking fine and until yesterday she was forging with the other birds
But yesterday when I got home I noticed she was having trouble walking and today she’s staying near the coop cause she doesn’t want to walk
I just read a feed about gout...Shocked as I thought that was a human issue. Research that. If so, cherries are great for gout in humans.

Mycoplasma synovitis (MS,) a bacterial arthritis, can cause swelling in feet and ankles. Also, gout may cause swelling of the whole foot and toes, and can have a lumpy appearance. MS is very difficult to treat with antibiotics. Gout has few treatments, although some have written here about using sour cherry extract capsules given orally every day with some success.

Could it be arthritis? Didn't know chickens can live to be 9 years old. She is one well cared for girl. Hope you can get to the bottom of her ailment and make her comfortable and in less pain. Might epsom salt soak help?

Update:
Her feet and legs are still bothering her and now she won’t walk far on her own
From what I’ve read I’m thinking it’s most likely arthritis although she holds her left leg funny so she might have sprained it chasing one of the other birds
I’ve been giving her baby aspirin and giving her soaks in Epsom salts
Any one have any other ideas?

Also quick question
She’s the top of the pecking order and I’m worried that if she gets worse my BO will try and claim top and start beating her up (this happened last summer when my last queen of the coop passed) anyone have any experience or ideas?

Back
Top Bottom