my chickens love cauliflower?

stewy04

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
some days when dinner is done and we have cauliflower left over so i said lets feed it to the chickens and when i took it out there they loved it. do they need this for their diet to eat. i have 15 rhode island reds and 1 rooster. i just want to know if they are sopposed to eat cauliflower?

Cauliflower is fine for them. It never makes it to the chicken scrap bowl in our house, but my chickens love the leaves of the plant. BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

Chickens are 2 legged garbage disposals. They will eat just about anything. I feed them anything that I have leftover after making salads and or dinner. They can eat chicken. Mine love it.
sickbyc.gif
Just don't give them spoiled foods that are clearly stinky or slimy, or moldy foods.

Last edited:
The more fresh vegies you can give them, the better. It is like candy to them but it is good for them so a win-win.

I occasionally buy a head of cauliflower and let the chickens have it whole and raw. My chickens don't like very many vegetables - corn (of course), english peas and cauliflower - are about it. They hate brocolli, won't touch it, but love the cauliflower. I long ago decided that mine don't have much of a taste for veggies because they free range and get all the fresh greens they need.

Last edited:
So glad I found this thread. I didn't see cauliflower listed on the approved treat list but last night gave my girls each a tiny piece of raw cauliflower. I have never seen such a reaction to food. They went absolutely nuts for it and this is the first item for which they have shown interest. They could care less about corn. Crazy chickens!

My mom gave us a half head of cauliflower steamed that she wasn't going to eat. You would think it was zombie's feeding on a brain the way the 8 chicks and the one adult ate it. It was a feeding frenzy!

Back
Top Bottom