My chicks don't seem happy in their coop at night!

shsuozzo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Tonight is my chicks second night in their coop. They are 6 week old red stars and have all their feathers. They love their coop and run all day but when I closed the door for the night to their coop they all went crazy and were fighting to be closest to the exit door. I feel so bad : ( I put in a flashlight just in case it was the dark that bothered them but to be honest we had their heat lamp off for a while before we put them out. I just don't want them to be scared!

Opinions? Experience?

They just need to get used to their new "habitat". I just moved my 3 chicks into their new coop yesterday and they don't want to go in at night either. Try putting their food and water in their at night (if it isn't already) and that may attract them to the coop. You could also try putting treats in there with them or toys.

I was wondering the same thing. mine go crazy too. chirp like crazy when we close the door. think I should have a small light in there?

Can you put their old brooder in there? Just so they can sleep somewhere familiar and "safe" until they learn that the coop is safe?

I think they're fine. If you have a light now you'll never be able to take it out because the chicks will be so used to it that they'll cry for it when you take it out. They'll adapt to their new coop :)

I'm not very experienced, (first timer and my chicks are 4 weeks old), but I let my chicks put themselves to bed before I shut the door. It's almost fully dark by the time they all snuggle down and there's no fussing from them. I might just be lucky, but maybe it's worth a try. Good luck!

i would try putting their heat lamp in there if you can in a corner maybe they are just getting cold or something most of my chicks are from a broody hen and raised by the hen so im newer to raising chicks from bators / hatcheries if you got them from a hatchery

Can you put their old brooder in there? Just so they can sleep somewhere familiar and "safe" until they learn that the coop is safe?
I used a Rubbermaid tub for their brooder so not real practical to put in there I guess. I guess they will just have to get used to it. its a relatively small coop for them(im building a bigger one) so I don't think their getting cold. just think they get mad.
somad.gif

It's unfamiliar and chickens dislike change. Chickens are also hardwired to sleep where they feel safe so when you plunk them in a new environment, it takes time to accept it as safe. I wouldn't add anything else unfamiliar -- just give it couple nights and when nothing eats them in their sleep, they'll decide the coop must be OK. Until you move them again, that is...

Back
Top Bottom