I think it's a safety issue of what has/can happen. I've read a lot of valid evidence that cedar chips are not toxic to them, too. Lots of ppl build coops out of cedarwood. Am I going to try it? Nope. But, I'm happy with the hemp.

I think it's a safety issue of what has/can happen. I've read a lot of valid evidence that cedar chips are not toxic to them, too. Lots of ppl build coops out of cedarwood. Am I going to try it? Nope. But, I'm happy with the hemp.
I use cedar, so I'm "one of those" people. I also use hemp :). Different things work for different people, so as long as what you do works for your flock, that's the important thing.

I use cedar, so I'm "one of those" people. I also use hemp :). Different things work for different people, so as long as what you do works for your flock, that's the important thing.
Agreed. I was intrigued when I started seeing reports that the cedar wasn't bad. Rumor started by the pine industry, perhaps?🤷‍♀️ I won't use it bc I loved the smell - then we put it in the guinea pig cage...appeal lost. :gig

Agreed. I was intrigued when I started seeing reports that the cedar wasn't bad. Rumor started by the pine industry, perhaps?🤷‍♀️ I won't use it bc I loved the smell - then we put it in the guinea pig cage...appeal lost. :gig
If I can smell it I wouldn't use it since those aromatics are the reason it's considered harmful to small animals and birds. But as our woods are full of Western cedar (which is less aromatic) it's a natural thing to use here - branches get chipped and mixed into the wood chip pile, and after it sits a while the aromatic oils air out, so at that point I feel safe in using it.

My brooder is 100% cedar but it's 5 years old now, so it's long since lost that cedar scent as well.

Back
Top Bottom