My chicks won't go in their coop

Yes, they need to be locked in for several days, and then allowed to go outside on their own. Even if it takes them a week to venture out the door, they should not be pushed.

If you move their coop you should only move it short distances at a time, otherwise you will have to start over with the whole process of locking them in and re-homing them.

So I went out this evening to tuck in my flock and they were already in the coop all snug and happy. My husband said they chased mosquito hawks in there and decided to stay. I think we're on the right track!
fl.gif

I learned that when I let mine out of their hutch into the attached run, it is best that I don't feed them, just let them play and run around. Then, when it's time to go in, put some swiss chard leaves in the doorway and have the lamp on and when they see the chard, which they love to eat, they come up and go in and I am able to shut them in. Now, I recognize that it is the goal to have them go in without having to lure them in but this gets them used to going in hopefully at around the same time at night and eventually they will get used to the idea and do it naturally on their own.

Back
Top Bottom