Rachealx4

Songster
Mar 11, 2018
East Central Missouri
Ok guys, I am so stinking excited I just have to share! :weePlus, maybe it will help someone out. :D
I decided to build my coop rather than buy one. I have never built anything bigger than a small birdhouse in my life... and that was a kit! My brother-in-law helped me build the floor and my dad is helping me build the rest.
I am building a 10x12 coop for my flock of 17 so that I will have room for growth and segregation when/if needed. 2x2 boards and chicken wire will be used for the temporary wall inside. It is an open air concept, inspired by the Woods Coop but will have the option to close it down some in the winter if needed. At least that is the current plan.
20180410_165802.jpg 4x4 pressure treated posts were sunk approximately 18-24 inches. The site is not level so we raised the coop and made a level base with 2x6 pressure treated wood. 20180411_194527.jpg Back of coop looking toward the front and dad (Not pictured are floor joists) Weather resistant plywood was screwed to the joists. 2x4 boards are being used to gran frame. 20180411_194735.jpg Front ofthe coop.
More picturesto follow. We willbe back at it tomorrow!

Sweetie you need vertical studs in that wall.
Look up window and door headers too.

Every 2 feet there needs to be verticals to support the structure.

DSCF1057.JPG

You can see the verticals in my coop. I was able to get around headers by placing windows between the studs.

I think it is awesome that you are taking on such a large build.

You can also see things you might not think of by going to Home Depot or Lowes and looking at their shed models. Sometimes in person is better than in a picture.

Last edited:
Sweetie you need vertical studs in that wall.
Look up window and door headers too.

Every 2 feet there needs to be vertices to support the structure.

View attachment 1335409

You can see the vertices in my coop. I was able to get around headers by placing windows between the studs.

I think it is awesome that you are taking on such a large build.

You can also see things you might not think of by going to Home Depot or Lowes and looking at their shed models. Sometimes in person is better than in a picture.
My dad is not very conventional in how he frames. I kept asking him about that I'll make sure it happens. The last thing that I want is for it to have in!

Last edited:
@21hens-incharge and @jthornton

Do you think small windows in the back of the coop would help with summer heat issues or don't bother?
There will be a window on the ne side. Where the wall and roof meet will be enclosed with hardware cloth for ventilation throughout the year.
Anyone see or think of anything else that I'm missing?

The studs are really a must.
Best to know and make the changes before it caves in.

I love windows on a coop. Great for summer and closable for winter.

I have 11 in my 8x14 coop.

Mine open like the pic below. You can use the piece you cut out to make the opening to make a shutter with just as bit of framing.
I will get more pics once the sun is up if you like showing how I did this.

DSCF1589.JPG

The studs are really a must.
Best to know and make the changes before it caves in.

I love windows on a coop. Great for summer and closable for winter.

I have 11 in my 8x14 coop.

Mine open like the pic below. You can use the piece you cut out to make the opening to make a shutter with just as bit of framing.
I will get more pics once the sun is up if you like showing how I did this.

View attachment 1335454
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!!!

He's an engineer and type A personality
Ohhhh...hopefully he's not the kind to reject learning what he may not know.

This is very concerning, that wall needs a bottom plate that rests on the floor,
attaching the end wall studs on the sides of the joists is asking for big trouble.

Back
Top Bottom