My coop burned down

Sorry this happened and glad your birds survived. Hopefully this will be a lesson for others to listen when advised against heating the coop. I read through your other thread and see you were advised against using a heat lamp.

Good luck moving forward, hopefully you can get them some housing in a hurry.

Gary

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

Do you have a garage that you can place your birds in? How many do you have?

The only other "quick" thing I can think of as a replacement would be to buy a pre-built shed (outdoor building). Add roosts and nesting boxes.

I am glad that you and your flock are o.k. I hope you are able to find a solution.

I'm not really sure what you can do :( I'd try getting them to a space where they can stay temporarily - if you have garage space I'd cover the floor with cardboard and get a temporary chicken tractor to keep them in. Something that they won't fly out of, but is also cheap and portable. If anyone you know could lend you some space that would be great.

I stopped using heat lamps after one of my chickens knocked the bulb out of it (the lamp was off). Unfortunately though, all heating is expensive. My alternative heating probably cost around US $300. If you'd like I can post on what I did.
At the moment I currently have them in a small coop that we were going to use for quails, it seems to work fine but we are going to have to set up a new coop soon.

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

Do you have a garage that you can place your birds in? How many do you have?

The only other "quick" thing I can think of as a replacement would be to buy a pre-built shed (outdoor building). Add roosts and nesting boxes.

I am glad that you and your flock are o.k. I hope you are able to find a solution.
I have 9 birds, all luckily okay.

When I lived in Alaska everyone I knew who owned chickens heated their chicken coops.

In extreme climates there's a point where you don't have a choice, or you create a coop in your home or in an attached greenhouse with an extension of the wood stove pipe that passes through to the roof for heat.

It's a different world that far north. It may not have been cold enough yet for heat where you're located, but it's still just something so many people are used to doing. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

And to lose a structure you worked so hard to build must be difficult. Several weeks ago I posted a photo of a woman's chicken coop she lost to a heat lamp fire. She lost her beautiful flock. All that was left was some metal roofing on a pile of embers. She had just posted photos a few days prior of the eggs her chickens laid.

Thank you for your courage to share what happened, knowing you would probably be chastised. Everyone means well. We've all had to learn about the dangers of heating coops, assuming that's what caused the fire.

Do you mind telling me what time of day the fire happened? How were you able to save the chickens?

I recall reading somewhere that some people keep buckets and other fire fighting equipment next to their coops. If you have electricity, even solar, fires can happen. I'm learning from this and intend to do the same thing.

I finished cleaning the up rubble today, here are some images

PC090628.JPG
PC090629.JPG
PC090630.JPG
PC090631.JPG
PC090632.JPG
PC090634.JPG
PC090635.JPG
PC090636.JPG
PC090637.JPG
PC090638.JPG
now that I think about it, it's more likely that the water heater started it.

Attachments

• PC090635.JPG
    PC090635.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PC090636.JPG
    PC090636.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 3
  • PC090628.JPG
    PC090628.JPG
    755.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PC090637.JPG
    PC090637.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PC090629.JPG
    PC090629.JPG
    709.1 KB · Views: 3
When I lived in Alaska everyone I knew who owned chickens heated their chicken coops.

In extreme climates there's a point where you don't have a choice, or you create a coop in your home or in an attached greenhouse with an extension of the wood stove pipe that passes through to the roof for heat.

It's a different world that far north. It may not have been cold enough yet for heat where you're located, but it's still just something so many people are used to doing. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

And to lose a structure you worked so hard to build must be difficult. Several weeks ago I posted a photo of a woman's chicken coop she lost to a heat lamp fire. She lost her beautiful flock. All that was left was some metal roofing on a pile of embers. She had just posted photos a few days prior of the eggs her chickens laid.

Thank you for your courage to share what happened, knowing you would probably be chastised. Everyone means well. We've all had to learn about the dangers of heating coops, assuming that's what caused the fire.

Do you mind telling me what time of day the fire happened? How were you able to save the chickens?

I recall reading somewhere that some people keep buckets and other fire fighting equipment next to their coops. If you have electricity, even solar, fires can happen. I'm learning from this and intend to do the same thing.
We came back home at around 5 but by then the coop had already burned almost entirely to the ground, so I would guess it would have started around 3, and we had a small ventilated door on the side of the coop leading into the run so that the chickens could always get out, that's what had saved them in the end.

Back
Top Bottom