My coop caught on fire!! *Pics added in Post 15*

Quote:
Oh, I know. I take full responsibility. I knew it wasn't a safe thing to do but it was convenient and in my mind just for a couple days so not a big risk. That's why I'm telling everyone and not hiding the fact that I did a stupid, dangerous thing for the sake of saving time.

I know a lot of us on BYC use what we have around for our coops/incubators/brooders. We love to improvise and save money. I want to remind people that safety should come before all of that.

It's not so much that lights are the problem, it was my decision to use what I had around instead of waiting for my husband to install the light the right way.

I actually had second thoughts about posting the pic of the light since it was obvious how negligent I was. I decided that full disclosure was more important then my pride.
wink.png

That's what I said to DH! The pics spoke volumes and made us review. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Kat the kerosene heater would be a disaster in the making! All the chicks would have to do is kick shavings or straw into the dog crate when they were scratching around and you've got a fire! Also, I'm thinking a kerosene heater would make the coop way too warm for the chicks. I am a regular user of the kerosene heaters in both my workshop and the house but I'd never put one where I could not keep an eye on it at all times or where animals could kick or push bedding close to it.

Just some thoughts from a long-time(30+ years) kerosene heater user.

Larry

Thank you Larry, that was what I've been thinking more and more. But how can we keep our chicks warm this winter w/o using a heater or heat lamp? They are just now 6 wks old and won't be more than 12 wks old by the time our normal winter weather comes around.

Kat's Silly Chickens :

Quote:
Kat the kerosene heater would be a disaster in the making! All the chicks would have to do is kick shavings or straw into the dog crate when they were scratching around and you've got a fire! Also, I'm thinking a kerosene heater would make the coop way too warm for the chicks. I am a regular user of the kerosene heaters in both my workshop and the house but I'd never put one where I could not keep an eye on it at all times or where animals could kick or push bedding close to it.

Just some thoughts from a long-time(30+ years) kerosene heater user.

Larry

Thank you Larry, that was what I've been thinking more and more. But how can we keep our chicks warm this winter w/o using a heater or heat lamp? They are just now 6 wks old and won't be more than 12 wks old by the time our normal winter weather comes around.​

Kat maybe someone with more experience with the weather in your part of the country can answer better than me but I'll pass along my take.....

Here in Kentucky where it gets down to 0* several times a year and sometimes -20*people have been keeping chickens for years in ramshackle old coops with dirt floors and cracks in the walls that snow flies in a few inches deep with little problem. I doubt you winters are that bad unless you are in the "high country". At 12 weeks the chicks should have pretty much fully feathered and can handle some fairly cold weather if you keep the coop draft-free and a good 6" layer of pine shavings(I prefer shavings over hay or straw for winter bedding) on the floor.

If the weather gets bad enough you feel they need more protection create a smaller area they can cuddle in by making a temporary ceiling a couple of feet off the floor with a piece of cardboard or plywood in one corner of the coop. This will hold their body heat in and keep them warmer. Just make sure it has good ventilation.

Hope that helps!
Larry

I'm so glad your neighbors saw it.

I posted just yesterday or the day before about fire risk! We almost had one, too, although my light didn't fall. The electrical wiring failed. Thankfully, I went out there to check on things and had it burst into flames in my hands. I was only using it for a couple of days to get our 6 week old chicks acclimated anyway, because it's been getting into the 30s at night here. I wasn't planning on using heat in the winter. A chicken coop is basically a giant tinder box. So scary.

Kat, at 12 weeks, your chicks should be fine without supplemental heat.

Quote:
BIG UPDATE!!!
barnie.gif
Went out to check on everyone in the coop and make sure the babies were okay. My 2 roosters sometimes have trouble getting settled and will chase each other around until they get comfy for the night. Well...they must have bumped the heat lamp and pushed it so it was pointing at the back of the wood frame of the lid...when I walked in there, I could smell something funny and saw a slight swirl of smoke around the main light in the ceiling. Quickly thought of your post and checked all the hay but then noticed the 3-4" burnt area on the frame....parts of it were burnt so far that there was no wood left! After pouring water on the area and waiting to make sure the wood was cool, I reinforced the light so no other Roo-tastrophies could happen! The light was still triple secured but who would have guessed that they would push/angle it where it didnt belong! Won't get much sleep tonight and will definitely figure out a better set up in the morning. Any suggestions??? My babies are 4 weeks old, the temps at night get to 50-60s and they are inside a rustic coop. I turn the light off during the day since we still get to 85-89 degrees.

After reading this I will never use a heat lamp in my coop again. I have used them before, and been very careful to secure them, but It is not worth the risk. I have some mini Christmas lights and even that might get removed tomorrow. I might check into some solar powered lights.
Thanks for posting your pics, and I'm so glad it turned out ok.

Thank you so much for posting this as a warning to others! This will be our first winter with our chickens, and we were discussing a light for heating, don't think that's going to happen now, unless we get our electrician friend here to make sure it's done properly. So glad you didn't have more damage,or loss. You have done a great public service by telling your story & posting your pics. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Kat's Silly Chickens :

We were considering getting a kerosene heater and putting it in a metal dog cage so chicks couldn't get close to it, but now I'm wondering if it'll even be safe.,

Whoa! Don't kerosene heaters produce carbon monoxide exhaust? Chickens like all birds have very efficient, sensitive respiratory systems. I'd be worried about killing my whole flock from the toxic exhaust from one of those heaters set up inside a coop.​

Can you mount a regular socket that you can screw the bulb into? That's what we have done in our coop - it's like a normal ceiling light in a workshop, and I switch it out with a fan in the summer.

When I had babies, I had them in a large dog kennel with cardboard pieces all along the edges so they couldn't get out and they were protected against draft, and the heat lamp was on the outside of the kennel, but low enough to give them the temperature they needed. My crazy Teresa decided to hatch some eggs in January... not an ideal time!

Or - put the lamp inside a cage!

Toril

Quote:
Whoa! Don't kerosene heaters produce carbon monoxide exhaust? Chickens like all birds have very efficient, sensitive respiratory systems. I'd be worried about killing my whole flock from the toxic exhaust from one of those heaters set up inside a coop.

Larry helped convince me not to use kerosene, we were just thinking on whether it would be a good thing to use or not.
Our main concern is their young age by the time our colder weather hits.
My Mom is a worrywort about them and asked me to look into it. To me it's better to ask before buy, so we know if it is a good thing to do.
Thank you for your help All.

Back
Top Bottom