My dads hip disaster / random

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
My dad just had a hip replacement yesterday and they ended up messing it up and breaking his thigh bone. Apparently it was the first time the guy's had that happen in like 10 years. There were two surgeons I think and it was his friend so personally I think he was maybe just nervous and didn't wanna mess it up. Plus I think he said he went back in and was trying to make it perfect and get all the bad stuff out or something. So anyway, that was local, but he went to Boston last night. They didn't have a bed for him all day but they finally found one at I think 8? 9? Last night but the thing that sucks is it's a double room and the only room was in the cancer ward so he's in a double room with a man with cancer. But he just had surgery at I think 10 this morning, this time it's a trauma surgeon. I don't think they did the whole thing at once though. I think they maybe had to do it in pieces. They obviously had to fix the thigh but then they have to redo the whole hip replacement too. Personally I think it's kind of a waste if a brand new replacement lol ah well though. But maybe they did it all at once, not really sure. But so it was supposed to be 4-8 weeks but now he's going to be laid up for like 3 months. And he just lost his mother I think a few week or last month too so it kinds sucks.

My mom and I are going shopping and out to eat now too.

Hoping that your Dad has a complete recovery.
fl.gif

I think i actually got it wrong and i think he had the first surgery Monday and the other one to fix it i thought he already had it today but apparently he isn't having it until tomorrow.

Forgot to post but he just had the surgery yesterday and it turns out they didn't have to redo the hip, they just fixed the thigh. And he might be coming home Monday

Sounds like good news!  I hope everything works out and he heals quickly and well.

I think it is but the bad part is I think he's only coming home because he can't do the rehab with the thigh thing. Although when my mom called earlier he said was in PT so who knows. Could be doing some or could be a lie lol but either way, obviously with the broken thigh you really can't do the hip replacement exercises so it might like seal or something? I don't know how it works but that's my opinion. I also don't see why or how they wouldn't at least check the hip because it seems like it wouldn't be aligned right anymore but I guess maybe they did check or they wouldn't have said it. And thank you I hope so too! Stinks he can't do the exercises though but I'm sure he'll probably be able to soon. He has to be on crutches for like 4 weeks too i think

Just make sure he keeps a very very good eye out for infection. The more they operate the greater the chances. My mum ended up with one when they did her hip and it took a good year and a lot of pain just to get rid of it.

Just make sure he keeps a very very good eye out for infection. The more they operate the greater the chances. My mum ended up with one when they did her hip and it took a good year and a lot of pain just to get rid of it.

Oh wow, that's scary! Glad she's better now though! Definitely will have to tell him to keep an eye out. Especially since he had staph in his nose just last week but got the ointment and stuff

Oh wow, that's scary! Glad she's better now though! Definitely will have to tell him to keep an eye out. Especially since he had staph in his nose just last week but got the ointment and stuff

And they still operated??? Or did he not tell them? I would make sure somebody knows. When my mum had her last one to repair the crap job they did the first time they wouldnt even operate if she had the slightest scratch on her let alone had a staph infection the week before. Staph in a hip is a very scary thing because it gets into the bone and is very hard to treat, you can loose the hip joint all together or even the leg. He does not want to risk that, the dr needs to know in case they want to put him on antibiotics just in case. If it takes hold like with my mum you end up with a picline in your chest and months of antibiotic drips.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom