Pics
So what is the "secret" in eliminating the 2nd timer? How do you program the timer? Is there a tutorial in using the timer/dpdt relay? Thank you!

I also have to mention that using the CN101 timers like the ones the OP is using it is better to use TWO timers and wire it so the power is turned off while the door is not in operation.

Power timer turns on, the door Closes.
Power timer turns off after 1 min.

Power timer AND the Polarity Reverse timer turn on, the door Opens.
Power timer turns off first after 2 min, then the Polarity Reverse timer turns off second after 3 min.

Power timer turns on, the door Closes.
Power timer turns off after 1 min.

This is not my favorite but if you have the timers already then it saves power, extending battery life and usage.

Two SPST Timers DPDT Relay Linear Actuator.png

Seems like I might be odd chicken out on here and keep having issues!! Haha

Alright so everything works as it should. Door opens and closes per the timer. However, my battery keeps draining dead. I’ve realized through the help of a volt meter that my actuator has a continual draw on the system. Whether on or off.

During the day it’s fine because the solar panel keeps it charged. However, Over night the battery is drained dead.

Any one else have this issue? Would this also be a wiring goof on my part?

I’m using a 12v battery and solar charger.

It would really help to know how it's wired.

Ahhh ok, that makes sense now. The only thing I would have to do using this option is redo the ladder from the current door to the ground which wouldn't be a big deal. I'm supposed to have all my goodies tomorrow so hopefully I can play with everything and figure something out.

The only other thing of concern for me, and the reason I liked the idea of a pulley rope scenario is just in case one of the birds tried to get out/in while it was closing. I know they move super slow but my thoughts were if it were being let down by small rope there wouldn't be a "push" from the actuator, only the weight of the door.

You can always put a through-beam laser switch sensor that cuts out the power if there is something or someone in the way. You can even make it go all the way back up and not come down until the object is moved. I will post a video later this week, if you are interested. If not i'll put it off till later.

Well 3 amps at 12 volts is 36 watts... for however long the door is moving. If the solar cell won't keep the battery charged then get a bigger one like a 25 watt solar panel.

JT

But these actuators don't even use half an amp to operate. A good 7aH battery will last months without a recharge. Of course that's with wiring it properly. Where are you getting the 3 amps reference from?

You can always put a through-beam laser switch sensor that cuts out the power if there is something or someone in the way. You can even make it go all the way back up and not come down until the object is moved. I will post a video later this week, if you are interested. If not i'll put it off till later.

yeah it would be interesting to see that setup!!

My actuator - says Rated Current: 3Amp - is that the draw? I have a 3 Watt solar panel and on multiple cloudy days it doesn't charge the battery? Since the actuator runs 2x a day do I need a 6 watt panel? Thanks

The 3 watt solar panel should be enough to charge the 12v battery and keep the door operating with no problem. Even with a few cloudy days. If that 3 watt panel is not charging the battery there could be other problems.

Bad solar panel
Bad battery
Loose connections
Lack of discharge protection. A solar panel can discharge the battery at night if there is no blocking diode.
And depending on how you wired the door makes a difference too.

As for the 3 amps on your actuator. I am sure that 3 amps is the draw at max capacity. With 225 lbs load to it. That's if you are using the same type of Actuator the OP is using. In post #91 I show a video where you can see the amp draw and it barely gets to 0.60 amps.

Last edited:
yeah it would be interesting to see that setup!!

I will work on taking off my bench and making it presentable. After I put it together and had it ready to actually make the door, but I lost all my chickens to vagrants living in the empty lot behind my house. So it sits on my bench now LOL. I'm waiting to build a new bigger coop. I already put in measures to keep predators, that should know better, out. Will post soon.

Back
Top Bottom