My dog attacked my chicken!!

Ok, so I talked to my mom (who is a vet). She said just keep her warm and comfortable. Make sure she has food and water near. She also said never to give any animal aspirin so.. She said it is dangerous for animals. I hope Sunni is okay!
My vet said it was ok to give and i have given it to many an animal,you cannot give tylenol as it is toxic to animals.

If your mom is a vet,why didn't you ask her what treatment to give?

Last edited:
My vet said it was ok to give and i have given it to many an animal,you cannot give tylenol as it is toxic to animals.

If your mom is a vet,why didn't you ask her what treatment to give?
Well, she is a dog & cat vet and she said when she was at vet school they only spent one day on poultry, just 1 day. She said that she was told that aspirin is dangerous for all animals except it can be okay for dogs. She said just not give animals aspirin at all.

Well, she is a dog & cat vet and she said when she was at vet school they only spent one day on poultry, just 1 day. She said that she was told that aspirin is dangerous for all animals except it can be okay for dogs. She said just not give animals aspirin at all.
Any medication can be dangerous to any animal if not given properly. I have personally given aspirin to a dog for arthritis,a cat for pain(you have to know the weight of animal and the correct dosage info when giving to cats)and chickens,with never any problems.

If you and your mom feel uncomfortable about giving aspirin then just leave her and do as your mom suggests.

Best wishes for your girl,i hope she starts to show an improvement.

Last edited:
Thank you. I know Sunni's (the injured hen) exact weight, so that helps. She is 4 pounds 14 ounces. She's very small for a Buff Orpington.

You have dune a lot but only time will tell about the head injury
just keep her warm and comfortable for now as you haven't any
idea about her skull condition and hopefully it was not damaged
in her struggle for life ..

gander007

I was watching Sunni, and I think she is blind in her left eye (right if you are facing her). I was carefully using a light to see if her eyes react to light, and when I shined it in her left eye, she didnt blink, dilate, or anything. Then I shined it in her right eye and she closed her eye to avoid the light. Her pupils are both still very large and don't react to light.

She started to wiggle like she wanted down, so I set her on the floor and she walked a few steps forward. But the whole time she kept tipping towards her left side. Which really makes me believe she is blind in her left eye. Only time will tell if it's temporary or not.

I was watching Sunni, and I think she is blind in her left eye (right if you are facing her). I was carefully using a light to see if her eyes react to light, and when I shined it in her left eye, she didnt blink, dilate, or anything. Then I shined it in her right eye and she closed her eye to avoid the light. Her pupils are both still very large and don't react to light.

She started to wiggle like she wanted down, so I set her on the floor and she walked a few steps forward. But the whole time she kept tipping towards her left side. Which really makes me believe she is blind in her left eye. Only time will tell if it's temporary or not.
Sound like the symptoms of blindness. It is good that she was walking a bit and squirming.
Good Luck!

There isn't really anything I can do about the dog. He's my mom's dog. I know that if Sunni makes it through this, he won't be allowed in the same room as her. Putting Sunni back outside isn't an option. She is used to the indoor climate, and she is in the house because she lost her tongue to a bad accident that she went through when she was 10 weeks old. So I have to be able to watch her and make sure she is eating and drinking enough on her own.

The dog will be getting his teeth pulled in January or February (he has gum disease), so that will make him a bit less of a threat. I'll still kick his butt if he comes anywhere near my girl though. He has serious anger and anxiety, so he needs to be watched close around our cats now too.

Back
Top Bottom