My dog is a chicken eater, don't know what to do

There are a few posts where people have written that they never let their dog have access to thhe chickens. One day someone will forget. It's almost inevitable.
My mom got guineas after coming to visit us and falling in love with ours. She like the idea of letting them free range to eat the ticks, like we do. She told me recently she only let the guineas free range if the dogs were inside since she has a confirmed chicken eater. I told her it was only matter of time. It's not like my mom lives alone. Either the dog is going to get out by mistake or someone will forget.

I was assuming you didn't want any wild animals to take chickens either-- I see plenty of posts on here from unhappy people because a predator got into their "secure" pen (that was not as secure as they thought.) So I was hoping to spare you that kind of surprise. If you are satisfied with the current level of losses to predators (except Rosie), then your setup is probably fine for your needs (except as it relates to Rosie).
Yes, this is how it is. The set up is fine for our needs, besides Rosie. Thank you!

Why on earth did you think tying a dead chicken to a dog's neck would do anything other than give the dog easy access to what she didn't finish eating first time around.? You mention "spent a couple hundred on her since" as maybe a reason for keeping the dog...good breeders spend thousands getting championships and health clearances and learning . You can't do the championship part because she's a mixed breed, like you could get at the shelter. None of this is Rosie's fault but please spend your time learning more about keeping chickens and dogs responsibly, and in the meantime please don't make more of either. Someone who can't figure out how to even keep them apart has no business doing either.
We aren't breeding for shows or anything, just pets. And we got her from a breeder, not shelter, because we wanted a puppy and there were no puppies in the shelters around us. We have looked into it quite a bit over the past year. I planned to work with her more with the chickens when she was younger, but didn't, and there is my main problem.

We aren't breeding for shows or anything, just pets.... I planned to work with her more with the chickens when she was younger, but didn't, and there is my main problem.
I would certainly train her until she is the right pet for you, before actually breeding her. That would include some solution to the chicken issue.

The reason: you should not breed an animal that has something wrong with it. A dog that cannot be a good pet has "something wrong" when you want pets. So if you train her properly, you know she is ABLE to be be properly trained.

(There are other things to consider when breeding dogs, but this is the only one I notice that seems related to your current chicken-and-dog problem.)

There are a few posts where people have written that they never let their dog have access to thhe chickens. One day someone will forget. It's almost inevitable.
Could someone forget? Sure. That's why the dogs should be trained as well as monitored. Like one of my dogs nabbed a wild rabbit last year. As soon as she grabbed it, hubby told her "drop it" and she spat out the body and walked away. (Of course if it was a chicken we wouldn't have waited for her to grab it, but I don't mind the dogs going after rabbits.)

True, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but then again, so is a bit of planning.
Indeed!
Everywhere I've lived where there has been livestock or even pets, if a dog kills an animal then you shoot the dog. Harsh perhaps but in the long run it's the only sensible option.
It is harsh, not sensible and very unfair as well, to expect an animal to not to be what it intrinsically is. Dogs are predatory animals, some more so than others. As you say your best bet for a chicken friendly dog is a farm type breed, but even then they are likely to require some training. Anyone who's only solution is to shoot the dog shouldn't have one to begin with.

@PioneerChicks what are you attempting with dog now? You have had lots of time to try something. I work / train my dogs around the chickens a lot. it is not end of world or end of dog just because it has killed or eats chickens. My dogs still eat chickens but no longer kill them. I'm finally knowing how to do it successfully and consistently.

Indeed!

It is harsh, not sensible and very unfair as well, to expect an animal to not to be what it intrinsically is. Dogs are predatory animals, some more so than others. As you say your best bet for a chicken friendly dog is a farm type breed, but even then they are likely to require some training. Anyone who's only solution is to shoot the dog shouldn't have one to begin with.
I've known a few farmers that have shot their own dogs, usually a young dog from a litter of an established farm dog, because they killed livestock. I know they found it a very hard thing to do.
In many countries if a dog strays on to your proeprty and chases livestock or kills livestock the law states you may shoot that dog.
I know from some similar dog kills chicken threads here on BYC that in some states you can shoot/kill a dog that pesters your live stock. There is even a abreviation of SSS (shoot shovel and shut up) I think that is recommended by others on this forum. Many of these people have dogs.
The main difference here is that the owner of the dog is also the owner of the chickens; this doesn't make the principle wrong, or the law a fool.
I know you're a dog lover and I can understand why you might find my view unacceptable but it is not just my view, it is the view a many farmers and smallholders that have to deal with untrained/unsuitable dogs killing their livestock.

I've known a few farmers that have shot their own dogs, usually a young dog from a litter of an established farm dog, because they killed livestock. I know they found it a very hard thing to do.
In many countries if a dog strays on to your proeprty and chases livestock or kills livestock the law states you may shoot that dog.
I know from some similar dog kills chicken threads here on BYC that in some states you can shoot/kill a dog that pesters your live stock. There is even a abreviation of SSS (shoot shovel and shut up) I think that is recommended by others on this forum. Many of these people have dogs.
The main difference here is that the owner of the dog is also the owner of the chickens; this doesn't make the principle wrong, or the law a fool.
I know you're a dog lover and I can understand why you might find my view unacceptable but it is not just my view, it is the view a many farmers and smallholders that have to deal with untrained/unsuitable dogs killing their livestock.
I don't have a problem with people shooting a dog that is killing their livestock. Multiple times over the years we've had dogs get in and harass our horses and steers, so I know exactly how that is. I've always been able to locate the owners and firmly let them know that if the dog(s) come back they will be shot. I guess we've just been lucky, because they were never to be seen again.

To me, your own dog going after livestock is a different kettle of fish, because just as you have a responsibility to take care of and protect your livestock, you also have a responsibility to take care of and train your dog. If a person doesn't have the ability to take care of an animal, any animal, properly then they should not have them.

My point was one shouldn't expect to keep a dog, a predatory animal, and chickens, prey animals, together unless they have a plan to either train or contain them. IMO if your dog kills your chicken then that's on you because somehow you've mismanaged your situation.

For those that don't have the time or ability to train a dog, or just don't feel like dealing with it, a simple sturdy and/or electric fence will quickly and easily solve the problem. As would only having either chickens or dogs, IMO when you choose to have both, you are also choosing to take on that extra responsibility.

I'll never forget the time Kahlua found a nasty rotting fish on the beach and rolled all over it. I was camping. She had to sleep in the tent with me that night. 😭
My dalmatian did that. At least she didn't bring you a dirty diaper someone threw out of their car while driving down the road. The golden retriever did that after a good roll in it.

Back
Top Bottom