My Dog is eating chicken poop, is this harmful?

DiYMama540

Crossing the Road
Premium member
Jun 25, 2019
SW VA
My Coop
My Coop
:gig I can't comment on whether this is necessarily "ok" but a lot of our dogs do it so...whatever. Just keep an eye out for worm symptoms in your pooch...diarrhea, dragging butt on the floor.
I have at least been able to break my terrier of rolling in it :barnieThere for a while she was really into Eau de Fecal :sick

BallyFarm

Songster
Nov 28, 2019
PA
What is the best way to deworm everyone? (This is my first year with chickens). I have not dewormed them yet. They have always appeared to be in good health though.
Hi! I have read that pumpkin seeds are great natural dewormer for chickens. So for the last four months they’ve been getting pumpkins which I’ve cut and they love them!

bigEgoat

Hatching
Dec 21, 2019
Not only do my dogs eat it but they seem to be pretty picky about which poops they eat look around until they find the one /ones they want LOL Usually animal worms are specific to their hosts except possibly roundworms so per cows won't infect goats etc....but with chickens not so sure

Cluckingitup

Chirping
May 20, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hi there.
My eight year old German Shepherd loves to eat chicken poop. I let my chickens out to forage for a bit about once a day (the rest of the time they are in their run) - and my dog seeks out any droppings that they have left behind. It is NASTY and I have had a hard time getting her to stop doing it. I am wondering if this could affect my dog's health. Can the poop harm her?
Thanks
I have 3 dogs and was just at the vet with one of them and asked this question. I was concerned with them getting salmonella. He said that unless they already have a compromised immune system, they should be fine. I try to stop them from eating chicken poo, but they find it as tasty as the treats I buy.

Top Bottom