My Dog is eating chicken poop, is this harmful?

BudandBranch

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Voorhees, NJ
Hi there.
My eight year old German Shepherd loves to eat chicken poop. I let my chickens out to forage for a bit about once a day (the rest of the time they are in their run) - and my dog seeks out any droppings that they have left behind. It is NASTY and I have had a hard time getting her to stop doing it. I am wondering if this could affect my dog's health. Can the poop harm her?
Thanks

Hahaha yep they love it...dry crunchy ones, fresh stinky ones, frozen ones they pick up and play with, yuck!
I just deworm everyone regularly and don’t worry about it.
What is the best way to deworm everyone? (This is my first year with chickens). I have not dewormed them yet. They have always appeared to be in good health though.

In my opinion it is a good thing (socially) for a dog to eat poop, it makes human visitors discourage the dog from licking them in the face because it gives the dog really stinky breath. :sick :tongue I HATE it when people try to play kissy-face with my dog! :smack

Depends what animals you have , dogs should be done at least spring and fall, (after freeze up), but monthly during warm season is fine, oral dewormers don’t harm them at all. I do the chickens once a year in the fall, you have to get rid of eggs for ten days or so but the girls are usually molting anyway so have few eggs. The horses are done four times a year plus an extra before foaling.
I’ve never had a fecal float done, worms are in the environment and everyone shares water (not that I want them to!) and they all run around together

Some dogs may get upset stomachs from eating too much of it.

My dogs sure love snacking on chicken poop but like you my chickens are only outside of the run for a short period of time each day and I try my best to clean up to minimize what they can get to.

Deworming chickens with medicins is not an innocent thing to do. If a chicken has a flaw in her health she can get in a serious health problem by such a cure (according to information in other chicken forum). I wouldn't give my chickens medicins for a non existing problem. Why not give a cure with diatom earth instead?

Btw, I don't have a dog. And haven't seen the young dog of the neighbours eat any poop, (untill now).

Back
Top Bottom