My Dog is eating chicken poop, is this harmful?

New add to old post...

I got a new pup (going on 4 months old now) about a month ago and he eats all the chicken poop from my hens when they free range. I was told by a person that he could get salmonella, thanks @Cluckingitup for clarifying that up.
Problem is...it turns my stomach so bad that it is affecting how I interact with the puppy :( He is a pretty good pup otherwise, considering his age.
I dont let my hens free range anymore because of it. They stay in the run now.
I need the dog to keep away feral cats, but miss my hens free ranging...what to do? :(
Maybe not a mask, but what about one of those cage-style muzzles? He can breathe and pant and bark, do all things doggy, but hopefully not reach the ground where the goodies are. In fact this is such a good idea I am going to try it on my poop-eating dog and wish I'd thought of it sooner! šŸ¤£

Incidentally, dogs butt-scooting is not a sign of worms. It means their anal glands need cleaning. A vet or groomer can do it and teach you how.

Incidentally, dogs butt-scooting is not a sign of worms. It means their anal glands need cleaning. A vet or groomer can do it and teach you how.

Pay someone. They can deal with the smell. Very much so worth the money. (As Iā€™m due to groom my springer tomorrow, including the anal gland.šŸ¤¢)

Pay someone. They can deal with the smell. Very much so worth the money. (As Iā€™m due to groom my springer tomorrow, including the anal gland.šŸ¤¢)
Yup, that's what I do! Lots of DIYers here though. It's not difficult, though, if a body is willing.

Yup, that's what I do! Lots of DIYers here though. It's not difficult, though, if a body is willing.
My body, unfortunately, is more willing than my bank account. Add into the fact that 4 different groomers have cut my dog. Sheā€™s mortified if I take her anywhere. When I groom her, I have to wake her up to get to the other side.

My body, unfortunately, is more willing than my bank account. Add into the fact that 4 different groomers have cut my dog. Sheā€™s mortified if I take her anywhere. When I groom her, I have to wake her up to get to the other side.
By "cut" your dog, do you mean, made her bleed? :eek:

By "cut" your dog, do you mean, made her bleed? :eek:
Yes. Two got the end of the tail. It has a weird flap from when her tail was docked. One got the ear/head skin. I had to throw a stitch in it to make it quit. The last straw was cutting the webbing between toes.

Been doing it myself for 6 years now.

Back
Top Bottom