My Dog Is Jealous Of The New Chicks.

CitySilkies88

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
NE Ohio
I own three dogs. A six year old female American Cocker Spaniel, a four year old male Labrador (who is blind), and a three year old male Lab/Beagle mix. They are all very good dogs who listen very well. They are all great/gentle with kittens, cats, puppies, my pet rats and mice, Silkies, and babies. But I am not naive enough to think that they are trustworthy enough to be left unattended with any of the above. Dogs are dogs and even the most gentle dog has prey drive.

Anyways my Lab/Beagle named Morrison (yes named after Jim Morrison) is a attention hound, no pun intended ;). He is a very good dog but gets jealous of any other animal that takes my attention away from him. Needless to say when the chicks came he was not pleased because everyone who comes over wants to see the new babies.

When I am sitting at the brooder playing with the chicks he sits next to me with the most sour look on his face. Sometimes he will even come over and head butt my hand like "Hey! I'm more cute than those peeping fuzzy things! LOVE ME!" lol. He just seems not impressed with the whole situation.

That being said, he is very gentle and doesent show any desire to open his mouth to try and eat any of the chicks. Though again I never give him the chance.

Has anyone else ever had a dog jealous of the attention new chicks are receiving?
wink.png

The hand nudging suggests he thinks he is running the show. Some dogs can be very subtle in how they go about expressing their dominance. Subtle, but still there.

Incorporate NILIF into your normal, every day interactions with him and his attitude will improve.

I know what it means. I am a professional dog trainer. I just think it's funny he has had this reaction to the chicks. I know how to work with him and know all about NILIF :).

There is a children's book somewhere called How Fletcher Was Hatched, that chronicles a little girls dog who was so jealous of the new babies, that he built himself an egg. A good read if you have children.

Yes, though, my dogs are always concerned about their place in the pack when new babies of any kind arrive.

I own three dogs. A six year old female American Cocker Spaniel, a four year old male Labrador (who is blind), and a three year old male Lab/Beagle mix. They are all very good dogs who listen very well. They are all great/gentle with kittens, cats, puppies, my pet rats and mice, Silkies, and babies. But I am not naive enough to think that they are trustworthy enough to be left unattended with any of the above. Dogs are dogs and even the most gentle dog has prey drive.

Anyways my Lab/Beagle named Morrison (yes named after Jim Morrison) is a attention hound, no pun intended ;). He is a very good dog but gets jealous of any other animal that takes my attention away from him. Needless to say when the chicks came he was not pleased because everyone who comes over wants to see the new babies.

When I am sitting at the brooder playing with the chicks he sits next to me with the most sour look on his face. Sometimes he will even come over and head butt my hand like "Hey! I'm more cute than those peeping fuzzy things! LOVE ME!" lol. He just seems not impressed with the whole situation.

That being said, he is very gentle and doesent show any desire to open his mouth to try and eat any of the chicks. Though again I never give him the chance.

Has anyone else ever had a dog jealous of the attention new chicks are receiving?
wink.png
My dog just attacked aND killed my 2 yr old chicken. I jumped on him, put my hand in his mouth but it was too late. He killed her. He is a dog

Back
Top Bottom