My duck ate tiny piece of wallnut's shell

Naiva80512

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Hi guys..Today my anacona drake suddenly ate a tiny piece of wallnut's shell..I'm terrified that this is going to hurt his digestive system and organs...The piece is as same size as the pic I uploaded...What should I do?
20231208_144243.jpg

it’s hard to tell how big that piece is, next time put something standard next to it in the picture ( a banana or a dollar bill etc)

it’s hard to tell how big that piece is, next time put something standard next to it in the picture ( a banana or a dollar bill etc)
I threw away the shell unfortunately...It was as same size as this plastic piece(a little bigger and wider)

Attachments

• 20231208_192017.jpg
    20231208_192017.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 2
Tnx..Is domestic birds(hens, ducks etc..) able to do that? I didn't know their digestive system can be powerful like this LoL😅
It will be ground down once it passes through the crop and into the gizzard. Yes, domestic birds still have the same digestive system non domestic birds do.

If it's too large to pass out of the crop or you notice the crop not emptying or him going off feed... then intervention would be suggested.

It will be ground down once it passes through the crop and into the gizzard. Yes, domestic birds still have the same digestive system non domestic birds do.

If it's too large to pass out of the crop or you notice the crop not emptying or him going off feed... then intervention would be suggested.
Tnx a lot for information..So I should keep my eyes on him(although it wasn't a large piece)

I checked him this morning..He ate his food normally and he drank lots of water he also seems find in his chest area..I also monitored his 💩 and he pooped twice in 40 minutes but it was just clear water...Is this normal or this shows his crop impacted?
@Jenbirdee
@theoldchick

I checked him this morning..He ate his food normally and he drank lots of water he also seems find in his chest area..I also monitored his 💩 and he pooped twice in 40 minutes but it was just clear water...Is this normal or this shows his crop impacted?
@Jenbirdee
@theoldchick
Sounds pretty normal.

Birds with impacted or blocked crop will not usually be eating much if at all.. they do often drink in excess to try and clear the blockage (usually resulting in a water balloon feeling for the crop).. but that doesn't sound like your description.

I wouldn't be too worried.. but I'm always paying attention for any change (in behavior) anyways..

Back
Top Bottom