My Duck Hut/Pond finally done *UPDATED INSIDE HUT PICS* Not done Pg 1*

I'm just now seeing this. I'm so impressed! Could you tell me about the pond? Where did you get it...I assume it has a drain in it. Does it have a pond liner? How much water does it hold? How deep is it? Do you have steps in it so the ducks can get out? I'm starting to look for something like this to set up for my ducks, and have endless questions. So far I just use a kiddie wading pool, but it isn't even deep enough for my ducks to swim. Thanks for any info you can pass along. I need help! LOL
Great job!

Questions for you Hattie- did you pond come with a drain or did you install one yourself?

We are tempted to so something similar, but way smaller for our little backyard. We like the above ground with pavers surrounding it look. Very nice! We currently have a kiddie pool that is a bit of an eye sore and since we live in a townhouse in downtown chicago with close by neighbors, having pretty looking backyards is a big deal.

Quote:
I think you should quit your job and go touring the country making duck/owner lounge habitats! We need one of these in Wilmington!
wink.png

well wouldnt that be a "Dream Job" !!! sounds fun actually.... I will definately let u know if/when I want more Duckies...
I am pretty sure I have 2 girls and 2 boys... I may need more girls but Ill see how things go.....(Im really keeping my will power
up tooo by not getting any more yet)
cool.png

You *knnoooooooooowwwww* you want more duckies...
wink.png
I have too many on the ground right now and I have to really think about every one that I let go!

My ratio this year has been about 50/50 with males and females, so I am glad to hear that, it's consistent with what I am observing here. The Butters are getting their voices now so I'll see if they are breaking rank on me or holding the status quo.

I already commented about how great it looks, now I have more questions...

Did you install the drain in the bottom or the side of the pond?

Does it clean easily by spraying it with the hose when it gets empty?

Did you add anything to make it easier for the ducks to get out of the pond, other than the built in shelf area?

It seems that we will be having ducks now, DH says he hates them, but he keeps bringing them home. We keep them until they make a mess of a pen, and then he sells them. He sticks almost every egg in the incubator...go figure!

So, if we are going to have them, and I have a pond just sitting upside down in the yard...I might as well plan an area for keeping ducks.
My pond is not as large as yours, and it is very deep.

I know about chickens, but how much space do ducks need? I try to have a minimum of 8 sq. feet per chicken. Are ducks similar in space requirements?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have to plan it out before I present it to DH for him to build.

Jean

Quote:
I got the pond at Menards.. it was the only one left in the store (could order one) and it had a hole in it.. I really needed it right then and knew my husband could repair the hole, so I got it cheap... it is

Key Largo Pond - 270 gallons
91 in. x 72 in. x 18 in. deep

43749_1_1_3_6a.png

They did have smaller ones... but can u see the shelving on the sides.THE SHELVING AROUND THE SIdes is the Greatest... I am glad I found one like this... (I also throw treats in on one of the shevlings) I fill it just a couple inches over that so they can stand on them
with just their little paddles in the water... I do have a rock that sits on the shelving where they llike to get in and out and I put the soft strip part of velcro on the edge for better grip so the dont slip... 270 sounds like alot of water ?? BUT ?? I havent gotten a water bill yet LOL My Dad put a Tub drain in the bottom left side and connected a PVC pipe to it and it drains into some bushy ground..

It is ever so slightly tilted so that it drains towards the drain and then I just hose it down, push the drain back down and refill.
SO far it has worked Perfectly...

Quote:
Hi Nettie.... well I am on your indoor ducks Facebook and show the pic of your 4 ducks in their harness/shoes all the time ,,, its Awesome... lol Yes we did put the drain in as I described in the previous post... They did have smaller ponds ( Menards) but some seeemed tooo deep... And having it about the ground some with the rocks like they are was kindof a boo booo but I am pleased with the way it turned out... the first pond I had gotten had a rough bottom and no way to put a drain in, so I had to take it back but glad
I did cuz this pond is better... the tub drain is big enough to let alot flow right thru it...

Better not show this to my ducks or I would have a mutiny! Mine have a very small wading pool.
You did an awesome job and I totally love the set up!
clap.gif

Can I see inside the coop?

Quote:
My ducks can fly so if they really want out they will fly out... ha haaaa ,, depends on size of your duck , I think its 10 sq fot per duck but I know there are threads about it on here and You need to get the BIBLE of books everyone here gets
Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread its a good read lots of Info.....

MEN !!!! LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohhh PS read above post to answer ?? thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
Stop it DuckLuck I cant cave in Yet.... Just gettin in a routine now.... BUT ???????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no cant do it yet... cant do it yet .... cant do it yet.......the only way would be if I needed more girls
but with calls , will they pair up ???

Back
Top Bottom